August 25th, 2014 by Adam Armstrong
VMware Announces New Innovations for the Software-Defined Data Center
Today at VMworld, VMware Inc. announced new solutions advancing VMware's complete product portfolio for implementing a software-defined data center. These new virtualization, cloud management, and integrated OpenStack solutions will expand customer choice through open frameworks, and support hybrid cloud environments based on both VMware and non-VMware technologies.
VMware states that through a software-defined data center, businesses can reduce their capital expense up to a third and increase staff productivity by 100% in environments employing IT as a Service. Software-defined data centers can give business a secure, agile, cost-effective and open architecture to building and managing data centers by empowering customers to manage heterogeneous clouds, hypervisors, and physical environments. Based on both VMware and non-VMware technologies, software-defined data centers support open infrastructure frameworks and runs on underlying hardware infrastructure, transforming security architecture through a ubiquitous virtualization layer, and enables network micro-segmentation with VMware NSX network virtualization.
VMware's new innovations include:
- VMware Integrated OpenStack – a new solution enabling IT organizations quickly and cost-effectively deliver developer-friendly OpenStack APIs and tools on top of existing VMware infrastructure. Leveraging VMware's software-defined data center technologies, Integrated OpenStack will provide enterprise-class infrastructure, reducing capital and operational expense, as well as reducing total cost of owenership.
- VMware NSX version 6.1 – the latest release of VMware's network virtualization platform helps improve the security, scalability and performance of the software-defined data center and hybrid cloud. New capabilities include advanced network micro-segmentation capabilities, improved hybrid cloud connectivity, equal cost multi-path routing, and VMware vCloud Automation Center 6.1 integration.
- VMware vRealize Suite – a complete software stack for managing a software-defined data center and public cloud infrastructure service, that is a combination of VMware's existing cloud automation, operations, and business management into a single offering.
- VMware vRealize Air – as a service cloud offering that enables customers to automate delivery and on-going lifecycle management of application and infrastructure services while maintaining compliance with IT polices.
- VMware vCloud Suite 5.8 – the benefits of newest version of vCloud Suite when using array-based replication include: five times the scale of protection of the previous limits, recovery plans can be set up scalable to 5,000 virtual machines per VMware vCenter Server. Additional integration offering customers self-service access to provision predefined disaster recovery protection tiers to new VMs via blueprints in VMware vCloud Automation Center.
Availability and pricing
VMware Integrated OpenStack is expected to be available in the first half of 2015 and VMware is offering a Beta to customers who are interested.
VMware NSX 6.1, VMware vRealize Suite, and VMware vCloud Suite 5.8 are all expected to be available in the third quarter of 2014.
Customers can contact their VMware representatives for pricing information.