July 11th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Cisco Announces New Security Services & Integrated Cloud-Based Solutions
Today at Cisco Live in Las Vegas, Cisco announced new services and cloud-based security solutions built with Cisco’s threat-centric security architecture. Cisco claims that these new additions will make its security portfolio an effective approach for companies securing their digital business models in a automated and simple manner. Cisco goes on to claim that its architectural approach (from the network to the endpoint to the cloud) is able to detect more threats and help customers correct issues in less than 17 hours – much faster than the industry standard of 100 days.
In recent years companies have had to adapt to a more digital world. With all the new devices and applications emerging, opportunities abound, both for business and for those that wish to attack the businesses for malicious reasons. With the range of devices and applications it can make it difficult for businesses to protect everything, in some cases they need to deploy multiple security products that can open them to further attacks. The level of the complexity that is introduced can be incredibly hard to manage. This is where Cisco’s security portfolio comes into play offering less complex and more secure solutions.
Cisco combines network visibility with its integrated security products to give businesses effective security where needed from the branch office to headquarters or with the end user. Cisco embeds security into the points of connection that users traverse so that the network, access points or endpoints are safe before a user even logs on. The new solutions and services include:
- Cisco Umbrella Roaming: This centralized, cloud-delivered protection is the simplest way to remove off-network blind spots, guarding roaming employees wherever they work. With Umbrella Roaming, now embedded as a module with AnyConnect (Cisco’s VPN solution), organizations can add a new layer of off-network protection that blocks connections to malicious sites without needing to deploy another agent.
- Cisco Umbrella Branch: This cloud-delivered solution gives businesses more control over guest Wi-Fi use with easy content filtering. With Umbrella Branch, businesses can simply upgrade Integrated Services Routers (ISR) for simple, fast and comprehensive security at branch locations.
- Cisco Defense Orchestrator: This cloud-based management application enables users to easily and effectively manage a large security infrastructure and policies in distributed locations across thousands of devices through a simple cloud-based console. It cuts through complexity to manage security policies across Cisco security products from ASA and ASAv firewalls to Cisco FirepowerTM next- generation firewalls and ASA with FirePOWERTM Services featuring Firepower Threat Defense, and OpenDNS.
- Cisco Meraki MX Security Appliances with Advanced Malware Protection (AMP) and Threat Grid: This completely cloud-managed unified threat management (UTM) solution simplifies advanced threat protection for the distributed enterprise, providing branch offices with malware protection that checks files against its cloud database to identify malicious content, blocking the files before users download them.
- Stealthwatch Learning Networks License: This component enables the Cisco ISR to act as a security sensor and enforcer for branch threat protection. It allows businesses to detect and track anomalies in network traffic, analyze suspicious network activity, and identify malicious traffic.
On top of those listed above, Cisco is also announcing the new service, Cisco Security Services for Digital Transformation. This service looks at companies core security fundamentals and helps lay out a plan to adopt new digital technologies. This service will help by providing tailored solutions based on industry trends and vital business needs to achieve agility, innovation and growth.