February 10th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Cohesity Releases Version 2.0 Of Its Data Platform
Today Cohesity released the latest version of its Cohesity Data Platform, version 2.0. This latest version contains several new features surrounding performance, management, and security for enterprise customers. The Cohesity Data Platform is hyperconverged secondary storage that consolidates use cases such as data protection, test and development, and file services. Version 2.0 now features site-to-site replication, cloud archive, and hardware-accelerated, 256-bit encryption.
Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Cohesity claims that they are the industry’s first hyperconverged secondary storage platform for consolidating user data across backup, test/dev, file services, and in-place analytics, onto an infinitely scalable, intelligent data platform. Cohesity was founded in 2013 by Mohit Aron, the current CEO, who also founded Nutanix. Their flagship product is their Cohesity Hyperconverged Data Platform.
The Cohesity Data Platform is a hyperconverged secondary storage platform that, in their words, enables enterprises to take control of snowballing data growth and complex storage environments. Cohesity goes on to claim that customers can reduce their footprint by 80% while realizing immediate cost efficiencies by starting with backup.
New features include:
- Site-to-Site Replication: Organizations can achieve enterprise-level resiliency with the new capability for site-to-site replication between Cohesity Clusters.
- SMB Protocol: With support for SMB 3.0, growing file services for your network-attached storage in a simple manner with built-in integration for Microsoft applications and file services is easy.
- Stronger Security: Hardware-accelerated AES 256-bit FIPS-compatible encryption provides greater data security to meet even the strictest privacy and protection standards for highly regulated federal, financial services, and healthcare organizations.
- Automated VM Cloning for Test/Dev: To deliver a more streamlined test/dev workflow that repurposes backup data, automated cloning of backup VMs is now available to more quickly spin up zero-space clones.
- Cloud Enabled: A newly added public cloud archival tier enables organizations to take advantage of the cost efficiencies of the cloud with the option to spill over the least-used data to Google Cloud Storage Nearline, Microsoft Azure and Amazon S3, Glacier, cutting on-premises storage costs.
- Provides adaptive throttling of backup streams to minimize the burden on customers’ production infrastructure.
Availability and pricing
The Cohesity Data Platform 2.0 is available now and starts at $90,000.