April 12th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Datera Emerges From Stealth & Launches Datera Elastic Data Fabric
Today Datera emerged from stealth launching its first product, Datera Elastic Data Fabric. Datera Elastic Data Fabric is scale-out storage software that turns standard, commodity hardware into a RESTful API-driven, policy-based storage fabric for large-scale clouds. Datera states that their solution is the first storage solution for enterprise and service provider clouds that is designed with DevOps style operations in mind.
Headquartered in Mountain View, CA, Datera was founded in 2013 by the creators and maintainers of the Linux IO storage stack, Marc Fleischmann, Nicholas Bellinger and Claudio Fleiner. The idea behind Datera was to bring hyperscale operations and economics to private and public clouds. Datera is already being used in production by multiple large enterprises and service providers worldwide and just finished up a $40 million round of funding headed by Khosla Ventures, Samsung Ventures and Silicon Valley Luminaries Andy Bechtolsheim and Pradeep Sindhu.
Pre-cloud storage administering methods are unable to scale to the degree required to manage modern DevOps environments. In order to achieve the responsiveness and agility demanded of todays IT, Datera is releasing their Elastic Data Fabric to make Infrastructure as Code a reality for DevOps environments. Datera states that this will give enterprises and service providers AWS-Like elastic block storage. Datera Elastic Data Fabric natively integrates through iSCSI with OpenStack, CloudStack, VMware vSphere and container orchestration platforms such as Docker, Kubernetes and Mesos.
Key features include:
- API-first operations provides web-scale automation with full infrastructure programmability.
- Policy based configuration leaves the details to Datera Elastic Data Fabric so customers can optimize price/performance for each application without handcrafting every LUN.
- Grow-as-you-go model so customers only buy what they need when they need it. The scale-out architecture of Datera Elastic Data Fabric means users do not need to compromise on performance or capacity.
- Flash-first design delivers high efficiency and low latency (< 1ms) across distributed, diverse storage media types. This maximizes application performance and access density.
- Multi-tenancy and quality of service for cloud-native and traditional workloads optimizes asset utilization and simplifies operations across containers, VMs and bare-metal.
- Heterogeneous component support makes it possible for IT and DevOps to seamlessly scale across many configurations and generations of industry standard x86 servers with multiple storage media types.
Datera Elastic Data Fabric is available now in both software-only and appliance versions. Starting configurations deliver 150TB of capacity with 150,000 IOPS and seamlessly support scaling mix-and-match node configurations. Datera Elastic Data Fabric is available in a "grow-as-you-go model."