May 1st, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
Dell EMC Launches New VxRail & VxRack SDDC HCI Solutions
Today at Dell Technologies World 2018, Dell EMC announced that it would be expanding its HCI portfolio with the launch of new Dell EMC VxRail Appliances and VxRack SDDC Systems. The more powerful systems, aimed at simplifying digital transformations, come on the heels of ESG and IDC reports showing that Dell EMC is the market leader in HCI system sales. The new systems will be based on the new PowerEdge serves and will help clear a path of adoption for VMware-based private, hybrid and multi-clouds.
According to a Dell EMC sponsored ESG study, a majority of transformed companies are leveraging CI and HCI with over 35% of the applications on these solutions. The customers surveyed also stated that they are saving an average of 25% on operational expenditures. An earlier study by IDC, showed that HCI were nearly $4 billion in sales last year with Dell EMC and VMware leading the pack. Dell EMC intends to stay on the top and is advancing its HCI systems to do so.
With the top selling HCI solution, Dell EMC VxRail, the company is announcing updates and advancements that make it even more flexible and powerful. Ideal for and intertwined with VMware environments such as VMware vSAN and vSphere, the new enhancements include the adoption of:
- NVMe cache drive options future-proof enhanced performance with dramatically lower latency and higher performance than existing SAS based cache drives
- Powerful Intel Xeon Scalable Processors, supporting up to 1.5TB of RAM per CPU socket for 2x more memory (up to 3TB per node)
- NVIDIA Tesla P40 GPU accelerators providing 2x performance and 50% more users for high-end graphics use cases such as those needed by CAD developers and designers
- New 25GbE networking provides the most aggregate bandwidth of any other HCI appliance and up to 50% more networking connectivity options than the previous generation2
- Support for the Dell EMC Networking S4112-ON half-width, 10 and 25 GbE Open Networking switch, a space-saving top-of-rack switch, purpose-built for software-defined data center environments
- New simplified management experience with VxRail Manager Events consolidation and viewing in VMware vCenter
- New VxRail STIG Compliance Guide and automated scripts harden the storage, virtualization and networking components to accelerate deployments of secure infrastructure
For those that need larger, multi-cloud sized, infrastructure, Dell EMC is upgrading its VxRack SDDC, a turnkey solution based off of VxRail hardware. Now built on the latest generation of PowerEdge servers, the VxRack SDDC comes with integrated networking, and powered by VMware Cloud Foundation and Dell EMC software. The systems are stated to deliver the simplest path to a hybrid or multi-cloud approach with an automated elastic cloud infrastructure at rack scale.
- New, more powerful configurations built on VxRail hardware with the latest Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation server platforms, designed for HCI deployments, to accelerate IT services and application delivery
- New enhancements for VDI with support for NVIDIA graphics processing cards
- The latest VMware Cloud Foundation 2.3 with newly integrated cloud management and automation for on-premises IT-as-a-Service (IaaS) and more flexibility to scale with heterogeneous server support
- Exclusive SDDC automation and serviceability extensions integrated with VMware Cloud Foundation that extend the management experience and simplify cloud-ready operations
Dell EMC VxRail Appliances and Dell EMC VxRack SDDC Systems updates are available now.