March 12th, 2019 by Adam Armstrong
Dell EMC Updates VxBlock 1000 & Introduces Ready Stack
Today Dell EMC announced it was updating and expanding its converged infrastructure (CI) line. The company has enhanced its popular VxBlock 1000 including higher scalability, broader choice of components, and the flexibility to incorporate new technology. The company added in its new portfolio of validated designs for those who seek to build their own infrastructure solutions, Ready Stack.
Dell EMC introduced the VxBlock CI solution in February of 2018. As we wrote at the time, the VxBlock 1000 supports many types of workloads as well as working with several types of storage arrays, data protection solutions, and compute systems. According to Dell EMC, this helps to deliver on the promise of CI around IT infrastructure lifecycle management simplification. It will also help IT admins spend less time on administrative tasks and allow them to focus instead on core business functions and innovations. The latest enhancements broaden customer choices with new Dell EMC storage and data protection platforms as well as Cisco UCS servers.
New features include:
- Deliver cloud operations faster and more efficiently with new validated support for:
- VxBlock Central Orchestration workflows with VMware vRealize Orchestrator version 7.5
- VxBlock Central Operations analytics with VMware vRealize Operations version 7.0
- VMware vSphere 6.7 virtualization platform
- Consolidate and protect high-value, mission-critical workloads with new storage and data protection options built for efficient backup, archiving and cloud tiering, featuring:
- Dell EMC Unity Hybrid Flash (Models 300, 400, 500 and 600)
- Dell EMC Data Domain with high availability (Models 6800, 9300 and 9800)
- Optimize high-value enterprise workloads with the added scale and performance provided by new server and networking options from Dell EMC's long-time partner Cisco:
- Cisco UCS 6454 Fabric Interconnect (Gen 4)
- Cisco UCS C480, extending the range of Cisco M5 rack servers available in VxBlock 1000
While Dell EMC offers several CI solutions in its portfolio, some customers like to build their own infrastructure solutions. Dell EMC Ready Stack, a portfolio of validated designs with sizing, design and deployment resources to enable users to build their needed CI while getting the components from a trusted vendor.
Dell EMC Ready Stack validated design portfolio includes:
- VMware-based IaaS on Dell EMC PowerEdge MX servers and Dell EMC PowerMax storage
- VMware vSphere on Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation servers and Dell EMC Unity storage
- Microsoft Hyper-V on Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation servers and Dell EMC Unity storage