April 30th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
Dell Technologies Capital Announces Strong First Year
Coming out of stealth last year at Dell EMC World 2018, Dell Technologies Capital (DTC), the venture arm of Dell Technologies, is reporting a strong year of investment momentum. In this past year DTC has been able to complete 24 new and follow-on investments as part of its $100 million annual investment average run rate, several of which focused on AI and ML. Since its beginning in 2012, DTC has been able to make 81 investments focused on early-stage startups that span a broad range of technology areas.
Just in this past year, DTC had 11 exists with three of those eleven IPO-ing in the last seven months. These three companies are Zscaler (NASDAQ: ZS), a leading pioneer in transforming network security for the cloud era, MongoDB (NASDAQ: MDB) and DocuSign (NASDAQ: DOCU). The IPO's had a collective market valuation over $11 billion. These high numbers point to the team at DTC's ability to find early opportunity and good startup companies to invest in. DTC goes on to states that it has several startup companies in its investment portfolio with growth rates of more than 100% and several exceeding $50 million in revenue.
Key portfolio highlights
Dell Technologies Capital’s portfolio companies continue to build leadership in solving the industry’s most complex problems for G2000 enterprise customers:
- Cylance’s, one of the industry’s leading cybersecurity startups, announced crossing $100 million in trailing 12-month GAAP revenues just 39 months from the moment its first product was shipped.
- Graphcore’s Intelligence Processing Unit (IPU) is the first to be designed specifically for machine intelligence workloads. Graphcore IPU platforms are designed to improve performance, increase efficiency and lower the cost of accelerating AI applications in cloud and enterprise datacenters. Dell Technologies Capital co-led the series A in 2017. Since then the company has raised two successful rounds of financing: Series B led by Atomico and Series C led by Sequoia Capital.
- Minio’s is the fastest growing open source object storage with over 70 million docker pulls. Enterprises use Minio to build high performance, secure and Amazon S3 compatible private cloud storage.
- Moogsoft is a market leader in applying AI to IT operations (AIOps). The company builds AIOps solutions that reduce IT alerts and ticket volumes by up to 99% so that teams can work faster and smarter to deliver better customer experiences. Moogsoft just raised $40 million in Series D financing, led by Goldman Sachs.
- RedLock enables effective cloud threat defense across Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud environments. RedLock was a key launch partner for Amazon GuardDuty and Cloud Security Command Center for Google Cloud Platform.
The Dell-VMware-Pivotal advantage
Through its investments and industry relationships, Dell Technologies Capital provides a valuable link for the Dell Technologies business units:
- BlueData provides a leading Big-Data-as-a-Service (BDaaS) software platform and is a Select partner in Dell EMC’s Technology Connect Partner Program. The two companies have a go-to-market relationship enabling on-demand agility and cost savings for Big Data analytics, data science and machine learning in the enterprise.
- Cylance’s Advanced Threat Protection client is integrated with the Dell Endpoint Security Suite Enterprise and is available for traditional and VDI desktops. Cylance also supports VMware’s Workspace ONE Trust Network which combines simplified management and security of users, endpoints and networks with Cylance predictive and automated security.
- Edico Genome is delivering a pre-configured, out-of-the- box solution with Dell Technologies that enables the analysis of an entire genome in 22 minutes compared to more than 24 hours using standard software.
- Faction is a Multi-Cloud Platform as a Service Company providing unmatched performance and control of applications running across multiple public cloud infrastructure. Faction is working with Dell EMC and VMware Cloud on AWS to enable customers to run applications across vSphere-based cloud environments with on-premise performance for a broad range of AWS services.
- Graphcore is using Dell Technologies’ OEM and product integration capabilities to bring their innovative AI/ML processing technology and platforms to even more customers.
- Minio provides multi-cloud object storage for Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF). Applications become portable by standardizing on the Amazon S3-compatible API, irrespective of the underlying cloud infrastructure. Minio deploys as a BOSH package or a Pivotal Tile in minutes.