May 4th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
EMC Unveils XtremIO 4.0
Today at EMC World, EMC Corporation unveiled the latest version of its high-performance all-flash-array (AFA) software, XtremIO 4.0. This is a free, non-disruptive upgrade for customers already using XtremIO 3.X arrays. EMC is also announcing new 40TB X-Brick building blocks. XtremIO 4.0 now supports these larger AFA configurations (up to eight 40TB X-Bricks).
XtremIO has been available for a year and a half and has become EMC’s fastest selling product, and, according to IDC, the top selling AFA. The latest version extends and expands on its on-demand capabilities and consolidates workloads at “unprecedented levels of performance and availability.” The new 40TB X-Brick building blocks provide double the previous density and offer non-disruptive performance and capacity expansions.
Version 4.0 aids customers with in-memory copy services for their data centers, which streamline entire workflows, and automate from storage through the hypervisor and into the application. These features continue driving the rapid adoption of XtremIO across mission-critical workloads and workflows such as software DevOps, real-time analytics, production and non-production database acceleration, SAP landscape consolidation, private/hybrid clouds, enterprise-wide VDI, messaging and collaboration and electronic medical records.
New features include:
- Enhanced Data Protection –Data on XtremIO arrays can be replicated to other XtremIO arrays or any array supported by RecoverPoint. XtremIO replication delivers up to one-minute Recovery Point Objectives, even when replicating at data center scale with flash-array levels of workload and data change rates.
- Bigger, Faster Clusters – The new 40TB X-Brick building block, which is double the density of previous XtremIO systems. In addition, XtremIO clusters now scale up to eight X-Bricks with 16 N-way active controllers (up from 12), capable of delivering petabytes of effective capacity in a single rack through inline data reduction and space-efficient copies.
- Online Expansion – XtremIO arrays now can be non-disruptively expanded for performance and capacity, with automatic rebalancing and no application downtime.
- Application Automation – XtremIO’s copy data management functions are integrated into key enterprise application management stacks such as VMware, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Exchange to automate rich use cases, including the scheduling, attachment and expiration of space-efficient copies to application hosts.
- Multi-Array Management – XtremIO 4.0 allows single pane of glass management for multiple XtremIO clusters from a common XtremIO Management Server (XMS).
- More Powerful Interface – XtremIO 4.0 introduces extended historical reporting, maintaining two years of operating history, as well as sophisticated tagging and search functionality for handling large numbers of provisioned volumes, hosts and snapshots. It also boasts improved built-in reporting capabilities.
- More Scalable – XtremIO 4.0 supports more hosts per array, more X-Bricks per array and more snapshots than before.
- Federation Enterprise Hybrid Cloud 3.0 – With XtremIO and the Federation Enterprise Hybrid Cloud 3.0 offering, customers can now consolidate all mission-critical workloads and their non-production lifecycle copies into their Hybrid Cloud with Tier 0 Storage and Copy Services. This enables some of the most compelling hybrid cloud use cases like Database-as-a-Service and SAP-as-a-Service.
Availability and pricing
XtremIO 4.0 software and the new 40TB X-Brick configurations will be available for order within this calendar quarter.