June 6th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
Hitachi Vantara Enhances Its UCP Family
Today Hitachi Vantara announced that it has made enhancements to both the hardware and software of its Hitachi Unified Compute Platform (UCP) family of converged, hyperconverged and rack-scale systems. They are adding a new certified applications ecosystem that includes environments from Oracle databases, SAP HANA, VMware and big data analytics frameworks. These new offerings will allow the company to address nearly any workload, at any scale, in multi-cloud environments.
The idea behind Hitachi Vantara’s UCP systems is to give customers standard platforms that are easy to deploy and manage. The UCP systems also give users an agile infrastructure, which in these days where things are changing fast, customers can really take advantage of this feature. Along with agility, the systems us modular building blocks to help them hit specific needs. It also allows users to start small and grow as needed.
New enhancements include:
- Hitachi Unified Computer Platform Advisor (UCP Advisor), the IT management and orchestration software for the Hitachi UCP family, supports full automation over server, network and storage components. UCP Advisor lets IT staff move applications and workloads between clouds and UCP systems in a smart and automated way to rapidly delivering new IT services. The latest release of UCP Advisor continues to enhance automation, including policy-based provisioning to speed initial deployment with less risk.
- Hitachi Unified Compute Platform CI (UCP CI) systems provide a flexible, low-risk path to modern data center infrastructure. UCP CI systems combine the operational efficiencies of virtualization with a UCP Advisor-powered management and automation toolset, which simplifies the control of both virtual and physical infrastructure to support a wide range of enterprise and cloud workloads, at any scale.
- Enhancements to Hitachi UCP CI systems include support for the recently launched all-flash and hybrid Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform (VSP) systems. VSP systems provide faster, more efficient performance, containers support and cross-platform AI-powered analytics and IT automation software. Intel Skylake-based Hitachi DS220 and DS240 servers deliver new scale-up and scale-out server options to handle the most demanding, high performance requirements for virtualization, SAP and Oracle environments.
- Hitachi Unified Compute Platform HC (UCP HC) systems are a scalable, easy-to-deploy hyperconverged infrastructure appliance. Available as an all-inclusive solution, UCP HC leverages VMware VSAN for simplicity and agility, fully orchestrated installation, management and upgrades.
- Hitachi Unified Compute Platform RS (UCP RS) is a rack-scale system designed to accelerate the move to a hybrid cloud. Based on the latest VMware VCF software, the systems enable customers to deploy a hybrid cloud for faster time-to-market and pay-as-you go economics, while hardening security against data breaches. Key new components and enhancements to Hitachi UCP RS include the use of Intel Skylake all-flash servers for improved performance and efficiency and support for the latest VMware VSAN software. This lowers the cost for smaller deployments to bring the benefits of UCP RS to a new class of customers.
On top of the above enhancements, Hitachi Vantara has built out its Applications Ecosystem solutions. These solutions are powered by the UCP family and aim to deliver pre-integrated, optimized and certified infrastructure solutions and reference architectures, combined with application-centric professional services. These new solutions include:
- The new Hitachi Solution for the SAP HANA Platform simplifies the analysis of SAP HANA data as well as big data from multiple sources in real-time to drive faster and more informed business decisions. New SAP HANA solution options include Tailored Data Center Integration (TDI) certifications with leading density and efficiency, scaling to 64 nodes per frame and featuring new Hitachi VSP flash storage systems to run the most demanding SAP applications. New appliance certifications scale up to 8 CPUs and 12TB and are ideally suited for SAP Business Suite 4 HANA (SAP S/4 HANA) to drive financials, enterprise resource planning, supply chain management and other business-critical enterprise operations. In addition, Hitachi has added resource forecasting analytics and threshold alerts to Hitachi Server and Storage Adapters for the SAP HANA Cockpit centralized management console.
- A Hitachi Solution for Databases with Oracle Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) optimization offloads warm and cold data to a data lake consisting of a certified MongoDB cluster running on Hitachi UCP systems. This can reduce the cost of software licensing and hardware acquisitions while supporting big data analytics on multiple data types and sources. Pentaho data integration allows access to both existing EDW and secondary big data environments from a single tool.
Hitachi UCP systems and the new applications ecosystem solutions are available now.