November 15th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
HP Introduces The Z2, Industry’s First Mini Workstation
Today at Autodesk University, HP Inc. announced a new workstation designed for users of compute-intensive industries; only this workstation is just 2.3 inches high and 8.5 inches wide. This new workstation, the HP Z2 Mini Workstation, represents a new class of workstation with lots of the performance of the standard size workstation; now at a size similar to an Apple Mac Mini.
While mini PCs aren’t a new concept, the Z2 marks the first mini PC that can support six displays right out of the box. The Z2 comes with some impressive hardware under the hood as well including Intel Xeon processors, NVIDIA professional graphics and the availability of HP Z Turbo Drive. The product includes extensive ISV certification and 368,000 hours of quality testing.
From a design perspective, HP took a less traditional route than its customers are accustomed. HP states that the workstation is shorter than a cup of espresso and is shaped as an octagon instead of a typical rectangle. The smaller size fulfills the requests of many users that need a high performance device but one that takes up as little space as possible. Power users will also note the chassis has been designed with serviceability in mind. On the back of the workstation is a release tab to remove the top cover, exposing the insides to easily swap out components and upgrade with minimal effort.
- On/under the desk, behind an HP Z display, or on a wall
- Custom designed fans and a cooling system for whisper-quiet acoustics (63% quieter than an HP business-class mini PC) for workstation customers that need mission-critical reliability
- The HP Z2 Mini design and engineering ingenuity aims to transform the way people think about workstations and workspaces
- Form Factor: Mini Form Factor
- CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1200v5 or Intel Core i3/i5/i7
- Memory: Up to 32GB
- Storage: 2.5" HDD/SSD or M.2 Z-Turbo SSD
- Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro M620 2GB GFX
- Expansion Slots: 1 M.2 PCIe Gen3 x1
- Ports and Connectors:
- Side: 2 USB 3.0 (1 charging); 1 line in
- Back: 2 USB 3.0; 2 USB-C; 1 audio line in, Power, Up to 4 DisplayPort
- Power: 135 W 89% efficient, wide-ranging, active PFC (external); 200 W 89% efficient, wide-ranging, active PFC (external)
- Security: HP 10 mm Keyed Cable Lock (optional)
- Dimensions: 8.5x8.5x2.28in (216x216x58mm)
- Starting at 4.5 lb
- Starting at 2.04 kg
Availability and pricing
The HP Z2 Mini Workstation is expected to be available in December and starts at $699.