November 16th, 2012 by Mark Kidd
HP’s ProLiant SL4500 Gen8 Features Modular Big Data Architecture
HP’s new ProLiant SL4500 server features a modular 4.3U design for varied big data compute and storage workloads. The SL4500’s flexibility allows organizations to tailor their compute and storage configuration to meet the specific needs of Big Data application environments.
Populated with 4TB SAS/SATA hard drives expected in early FY2013, SL4500 servers can provide up to 240TB of storage capacity. Nine SL4500 servers in a 42U rack can provide a maximum storage capacity of 2.16PB.
HP ProLiant SL4540 Gen8 Servers are offered with a choice of three compute nodes featuring the Intel Xeon E5-2400 Processor Family.
- One-node configuration with 60 drives, for applications such as object storage requiring large storage capacity.
- Two-node configuration with 25 drives per node, for applications such as email and data analytics
- Three-node configuration with 15 drivers per node for parallel processing applications that require a balanced core-to-spindle ratio.
The HP ProLiant SL4500 server series supports multiple Apache Hadoop vendors including Cloudera and Hortonworks, as well as OpenStack Cloud Software and MongoDB.
HP ProLiant SL4540 Gen8 Server Specifications
- Internal storage configurations:
- (60) LFF SAS/SATA/SSD for one-node configuration
- (25) LFF SAS/SATA/SSD per node for two-node configuration
- (15) LFF SAS/SATA/SSD per node for three-node configuration
- (2) SFF SATA/SSD per node
- Storage types:
- Hot-plug LFF 3.5-inch SAS
- Hot-plug LFF 3.5-inch SATA
- Hot-plug LFF 3.5-inch SATA SSD
- Hot-plug SFF 2.5-inch SATA SSD
- Hot-plug SFF 2.5-inch SATA
- 20 MB L3
- 15 MB L3
- 10 MB L3
- Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2400 Processor Family (1 or 2 per node)
- Compute nodes: Up to 3
- Processor cores available: 8, 6, or 4 6 or 8
- Processor speed: 2.4 GHz 3.3 GHz
- Memory slots: 12 DIMM slots maximum per node (6 DIMM slots per processor)
- Maximum memory: 192GB per node
- Memory types: HP SmartMemory, DDR3 Registered (RDIMM)
- Memory protection: Advanced ECC (multi-bit error protection), online spare, and memory lock-step mode
- Network controllers (depending on whether a 1 G I/O module or 10 G I/O module is selected):
- HP Ethernet 1 Gb 2-port 361i
- HP Ethernet 1 Gb 2-port 361i
- HP Ethernet 10 Gb 2P 544i
- Storage controllers: HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i SATA RAID for controlling 2 SFF drives per node
- Expansion slots: One low profile expansion slot can contain a storage controller for external attached storage (HBA or Smart Array Controller), networking options, or an HP I/O accelerator.
- Management: HP iLO Management, HP Insight Control
- System fans: 5 dual fans modules
- Power supply type: Up to 4 power supplies, 750W and 1200W Common Slot, hot-plug redundant power supply (Up to 94 percent efficiency)
- Graphic card: Integrated Matrox G200 video standard, 1280 x 1024 (32 bpp) or 1920 x 1200 (16 bpp)
- Form factor: 4.3U
- Warranty: 1-year parts, 1-year labor, 1-year onsite
Pricing and Availability
The HP ProLiant SL4500 server series in a single node configuration is available immediately at an estimated starting price of $7,643.