May 26th, 2015 by Lyle Smith
HP t420 Affordable Thin Client Announced
HP has announced the HP t420, an affordable, cloud-ready thin client designed for task workers in call centers, Desktop-as-a-Service, and remote kiosk environments. The new HP thin client offers a choice of essential operating systems, such as the Linux-based HP Smart Zero Core and HP ThinPro, and Windows Embedded 7.
The HP’s new reliable t420 is well-suited for businesses looking to stay under budget and on task all the while taking up a limited amount of space and without making a lot of noise. All models are bundled with value-added HP software at no cost to the user in addition to integrated browsers, plus support for Voice-over-IP with Microsoft Lync and Unified Communications tools.
The HP t420 also features flash memory storage and a fan-less design for ultra-quiet deployments and is approximately 5x7x1-inches in size, allowing it to be easily installed in compact work spaces throughout the office. In addition, setup, deployment, and maintenance tasks are seamless with HP Device Manager or HP Smart Zero Services software tools. These are available exclusively for HP Thin Clients, allowing users to track, manage, and update entire install bases using only a few clicks.
The HP t420 Thin Client features include:
- Attaches to the back of an HP ProDisplay, or bundles with a display and HP Integrated Work Center Stand to create an all-in-one footprint that keeps I/O ports front and center.
- Reduces power consumption and helps lower costs with an intelligent, energy-efficient, low-halogen design that’s ENERGY STAR certified and EPEAT Gold registered.
- Offers Gigabit Ethernet for wired-in connectivity when Wi-Fi isn’t an option, and support for 802.11n Wi-Fi.
- Supports Microsoft Lync productivity tools like instant messaging, desktop sharing, and Voice-over-IP for Internet-based calling.
- Comes standard with a business-class USB keyboard and mouse.
- Allows for customization with choice of branding, applications, GUI, hardware compatibility, and more.
HP t420 Specifications:
- Operating System:
- HP ThinPro 32
- HP Smart Zero Core 32
- Core Processing Technology: AMD Embedded G-Series GX-209JA SOC (1 GHz, 2 cores)
- Storage: 8 GB MLC flash memory
- Graphics: Graphics integrated on processor
- System Memory: 2 GB DDR3L SDRAM (Transfer rates up to 1066 MT/s)
- LAN: Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
- WLAN: Broadcom 802.11n 2x2 WiFi Network Interface with Bluetooth (optional)
- Audio: 3.5 mm stereo socket on front panel marked as a headset port. Supports OMTP and CTIA headsets.
- Display Support: The use of dual displays attached to models configured with the Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 7E operating system is not recommended due to the system’s limited SDRAM. Less than optimal performance from the thin client and the displays could be experienced.
- Input Devices:
- HP USB Standard Keyboard; HP USB CCID Smartcard Keyboard
- HP USB Optical Mouse
- Power: 45 W, worldwide auto-sensing, 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz, energy saving automatic power-down, surge tolerant external adapter
- Environmental: Low halogen
- Energy Efficiency Compliance: ENERGY STAR certified and EPEAT® Gold registered
- Front: 2 USB 2.0; 1 headset
- Back: 2 USB 2.0; 1 RJ-45; 1 DVI-D; 1 VGA
- 7.08 x 5.51 x 1.37 in
- 180 x 140 x 35 mm
- 1.63 lb
- 0.74 kg
- Software: HP Device Manager; HP ThinState; HP ThinUpdate; HP Smart Zero Client Services; Microsoft SCCM/EDM Agent; HP Connection Manager; HP Easy Shell
- Protocols: Citrix Receiver; Microsoft RDP; VMware Horizon Client; HP TeemTalk Terminal Emulator; Free RDP (Protocols are dependent on operating system installed)
- Browser: Mozilla Firefox 32
Price and Availability
The HP t420 is slated for a July 2015 worldwide release starting for roughly $239.