October 18th, 2017 by Lyle Smith
HP ZBook x2 Detachable PC Announced
HP is set to showcase the new performance-driven HP ZBook x2 detachable PC today at the 2017 Adobe MAX conference. Built for artists, designers and digital imaging professionals who need a powerful mobile solution that excels Adobe Creative Cloud and other professional applications, the HP ZBook x2 is dubbed the world’s first detachable workstation.
The HP ZBook x2 is powered by quad-core Intel Core processors and NVIDIA Quadro Graphics and features double the memory of other detachable PCs. Moreover, HP has equipped their new workstation with a quiet, dual-fan active cooling system to dissipate heat from these powerful components. It also features a customizable, application-aware HP Quick Keys to provide artists with 18 time-saving shortcuts.
The HP ZBook x2 operates in four modes (laptop, detached, docked and tablet) with the following benefits:
- In laptop mode, the HP ZBook x2 is a powerful mobile workstation with a keyboard leveraged from the HP ZBook Studio.
- In detached mode, users can use HP’s most accurate and expressive pen while still having full access to all of their shortcut keys with the Bluetooth-enabled keyboard off to the side. Designed based on Wacom EMR technology, the pen never needs to be charged and offers 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity with multi-directional tilt capabilities with a dedicated eraser.
- In docked mode, the HP ZBook x2 can power two additional 4K displays or five total displays.
- In tablet mode, it maintains full graphics performance allowing users to capture ideas with powerful NVIDIA 3D graphics.
The HP ZBook x2 offers some pretty useful security features as well. It features HP Sure Start Gen3 for BIOS protection, TPM 2.0 for hardware-based encryption to secure credentials, secure authentication methods through the Smart Card Reader and HP’s Client Security Suite Gen3 to protect data, device, and identity, including facial recognition and fingerprint reader.
HP ZBook x2 Highlights include:
- A fully-machined, aluminum and die-cast magnesium body starting at 3.64 pounds and 14.6 mm thin when in tablet mode, and 4.78 pounds and 20.3 mm in laptop mode
- 14-inch diagonal, 4K multi-touch display with an optional 10-bit, one-billion color HP DreamColor display calibrated to 100 percent of Adobe RGB
- “The world’s most advanced” detachable PC display with an anti-glare touchscreen allowing users to immerse themselves while working in any lighting condition
- Ability to power dual 4K displays from the HP ZBook Dock with Thunderbolt 3
- Detachable mode has up to 10 hours of battery life for maximum productivity and ultra-fast recharge (50 percent in just 30 minutes)
- Offers up to 4.2 GHz of IntelTurbo Boost, 32 GB RAM over dual channels for more responsiveness under heavier workloads like complex layering in Photoshop
- The model’s HP Z Turbo Drive storage is up to 6X faster than SATA SSD and up to 21X faster than traditional HDD storage
- Offers up to 2 TB of local PCIe storage and incorporates a full-sized SD card slot, perfect for professional photographers
- Using the dock or Thunderbolt 3 ports on the HP ZBook x2, allows users to transfer large files from cameras, external storage, phones and other peripherals
- Designed to pass MIL-STD 810G testing.
Pricing and Availability
HP ZBook x2 is slated for a release this December starting at $1,749.