November 28th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
HPE Announces All-Flash For As Little As 3¢/GB/Month
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) announced today its new initiative around flexible storage consumption models and accelerating all-flash data center adoption with its HPE 3PAR Flash Now. HPE is also announcing an update to its StoreFabric 32Gb (Gen 6) Fibre Channel portfolio for faster networking. And they have entered a partnership with Spectra Logic for enhanced data protection.
Though it has been around for roughly 35 years, Flash has had a tremendous impact on the industry over the last few years. Flash went from a small applications accelerator in certain use cases to the predominate storage choice for certain applications and workloads. Many companies have come to market with all-flash devices including HPE with its 3PAR StoreServ Storage platform. The main barrier to more flash adoption is price. When customers see that they can save costs and scale extremely large in the cloud they tend to go that route. HPE is looking for a way to bridge flash adoption and the cloud.
HPE’s new HPE 3PAR Flash Now initiative is a way to provide customers with all-flash technology, on-premises for as little as $0.03 per usable GB per month. Aside from a lower cost of flash making it easier to adopt, HPE is also bringing embedded data protection and application availability, as well as security and control for the data kept on-premises, through programs such as HPE Flexible Capacity and Pre-Provisioning.
Customer benefits include:
- Optimize cash flow by deferring payments until their new all-flash array is up and running or injecting cash via asset trade-in
- Accelerate service delivery by taking advantage of automated data migration tools at no cost or opt for tailored migration services
- Improve service levels through HPE’s 99.9999% availability guarantee, and by including flash-optimized networking and data protection
- Minimize refresh risk with built-in non-disruptive upgrade to next-gen technologies such as storage class memory and NVMe
- Maintain control over data locality, avoid long-term lock-in and eliminate the costs and complications of reclaiming data from the cloud
Having an all-flash data center is only as good as the connection into it. To address this HPE has completely updated its StoreFabric 32Gb (Gen 6) Fibre Channel portfolio making it a key part of its 3PAR Flash Now initiative. The portfolio features HPE Smart SAN technology, which can fully automated orchestration directly from HPE 3PAR StoreServ flash storage arrays. Automated orchestration can save hours of manual work, reduce risks due to human error, and reduce provisioning time by up to 90%.
HPE will be working with Spectra Logic through a new reseller relationship. Both companies believe that this relationship will help drive down costs of long-term storage to as little as $0.01/GB.
HPE 3PAR Flash Now, HPE StoreFabric 32Gb (Gen 6) Fibre Channel portfolio, and the new Spectra Enterprise Libraries are all available now.