March 27th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
HPE Announces SimpliVity 380 With OmniStack
A few months ago, HPE announced its plan to acquire SimpliVity for $650 million. The acquisition was made in an effort to strengthen HPE’s role in the fragmented HCI market. HPE is announcing the first product resulting from the acquisition, the HPE SimpliVity 380 with OmniStack.
Enterprise IT wants the flexibility and economics offered by the cloud but they need the control and performance of on-premises solutions. On top of that, they are also looking for ways to save costs while simplifying their infrastructure, basically the best of all worlds. HPE is attempting to address all of these needs and concerns with its latest HCI solution. The HPE Simplivity 380 with OmniStack takes the best selling server platform on the market, the ProLiant DL380, and runs SimpliVity’s OmniStack on it combining hypervisor, compute, storage, storage network switching, backup, replication, cloud gateway, caching, WAN optimization, real-time deduplication, and more.
The combination of various data center functions into a single 2U building block can greatly reduce complexity helping to modernize the data center for current virtualized and cloud-integrated applications. The convergence aspect can also help lower costs by combining all of the above mentioned functions into a single x86 building block that can easily scale out by adding more nodes. As far as cloud economics go, HPE cites independent studies that show VMs on on-premises HPE SimpliVity hyperconverged infrastructure is 22% to 49% less expensive than running them in a comparable Amazon Web Services environment (over a three year period). HPE states that this demonstrates that IT can see cloud economics while still running VMs on premises.
HPE Simplivity 380 with OmniStack specifications:
- Models: Small Enterprise All-Flash | Medium Enterprise All-Flash | Large Enterprise All-Flash
- CPU: Dual Intel E5-2600 v4 (Broadwell) 16-44 Cores
- Memory: 187GB – 1.467TB | 148GB – 1.428TB | 142GB – 1.422TB
- Storage Configuration: 5 x 1.9TB SSD | 9 x 1.9TB SSD | 12 x 1.9TB SSD
- Effective Capacity: 6 – 12TB | 12 – 25TB | 20 – 40TB
- RAID Configuration: RAID5 | RAID6 | RAID6
- Network Connections:
- 2 x 10Gbe (SFP+) & 2 x 1Gbe (RJ45)
- Up to 1 additional NICs on Dual CPU: 2 x 10Gbe (SFP+), 2 x 1Gbe (RJ45) or 4 x 1Gbe (RJ45)
- Power Supply: Dual 800W 100/240VAC @ 50/60HZ (auto-sensing)
- Height: 3.44 in (8.73 cm)
- Depth: 26.75 in (67.94 cm)
- Width: 17.54 in (44.54 cm)
- Weight: maximum 27.7 lbs (12.5 Kg)