September 15th, 2017 by Brian Beeler
HPE Cloudline CL3150 Launched
Last month HPE quietly launched their latest Cloudline server, the CL3150 G4, and this month they're due to start shipping. The Cloudline CL3150 is designed for speed, leveraging a unique configuration to hit its performance targets. The CL3150 uses a 1U chassis that is paired with an AMD EPYC CPU and an astonishing 24 NVMe SSDs (or 22 NMVe SSDs and 2 SATA SSDs). The EPYC CPU offers 128 PCIe 3.0 lanes which is fundamental to unleashing the potential of the NVMe SSDs, along with eight DDR4 DIMM slots. On the networking side, the server offers support for an OCP Mezzanine, 10/25/50GbE card options, 100GbE PCIe add-in card. The CL3150 is part of the larger HPE Cloudline family which is based on open design principles that deliver reduced cost, while still offering HPE's support and engineering experience.
As expected, HPE positions the CL3150 for any role where an ultra-dense, high-performance storage server makes sense. Categories like real-time analytics, 3D modeling, FSI trading, rich media streaming and e-commerce affinity advertising workloads that are stored in the cloud highlight where the CL3150 can play. These markets tend to be able to take advantage of open-style servers thanks to application builds and datacenters that are more flexible than traditional enterprise scenarios.
HPE Cloudline CL3150 G4 Specifications
- Processor core available: 32 or 24 or 16 or 8
- Form factor: 1U
- Network controller: 10GbE, 25GbE, 50GbE OCP compliant and 100GbE PCIe NIC options
- Expansion slots: One RAID/HBA, OCP Mezzanine, for detailed descriptions reference the QuickSpecs
- Storage controller: Integrated I/O , no chipset, 128 lanes PCIe 3.0
- Warranty: 3-year parts, no labor, no onsite support coverage
- Power supply type: Two HPE redundant Platinum power supplies
- Infrastructure management: ASPEED 2500 with IPMI 2.0
- Drive description: 24 NVMe solid state drive (SSD) and 22 NVMe SSDs plus 2 SATA SSDs
- Memory type: DDR4 Memory
- Memory slots: 8 DIMM slots
- Processor: 1x AMD EPYC 7000 Series
- System fan features: 8 HPE hot plug fans
From a design perspective, HPE has done well to double-stack the SSDs achieving the 24-drive density of 2.5" drives in 1U. The NVMe drives offered are 1.92TB Samsung PM963 SSDs, while the optional dual SATA drives are 1.92TB Samsung SM863a SSDs. In the eight DIMM slots, HPE supports 16GB, 32GB and 64GB modules. The chassis supports a single CPU, in this case an EPYC 7351P or 7601.
The Cloudline CL3150 is shipping this month.