June 20th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
HPE Launches Edge-To-Cloud Solutions
Today at HPE Discover 2018 in Las Vegas, Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) announced a family of HPE Edgeline edge-to-cloud solutions that allow the same enterprise applications to be run, unmodified, from the edge to data centers or the cloud. More and more data is being generated outside of the data center and the solutions announced today aim to give companies a competitive advantage while also simplifying hybrid IT.
As data is created farther away from the data center, edge locations need a way to take full advantage of this data and enable real-time action. Therefore, they need enterprise-class applications at the edge. HPE’s answer to this issue is its Edgline edge-to-cloud solutions that operate unmodified enterprise software both in the data center and cloud as well as on Edgeline Converged Edge Systems. The partners that provide the software include Citrix, Microsoft, PTC, SAP and SparkCognition. Using the software of the partners listed above, customers will be able to gain insight on the data harvested at the edge and use it to do things such as increase operational efficiency, create new customer experiences and introduce new revenue streams all the while simplifying management.
Software stacks that can be used in Edgeline systems include:
- Microsoft Azure Stack – addresses latency and connectivity requirements by processing data locally in Azure Stack and then aggregating in Azure for further analytics, sharing common application logic across both
- SAP HANA – an in-memory data platform that accelerates business processes, delivers more business intelligence, and simplifies IT environments
- PTC ThingWorx – an end-to-end technology platform designed for the industrial IoT, empowering businesses to rapidly develop and deploy applications and augmented reality (AR) experiences
- SparkCognition’s SparkPredict – a cognitive engine for machine prognostics, enabling predictive capabilities by providing advanced failure notice
- Citrix XenApp – an application virtualization solution that helps customers optimize productivity with universal access to virtual apps, desktops, and data from any device
For users looking for extra software-defined storage, HPE has announced its Edgeline Extended Storage Adapter option kit. This kit adds 48TB of SDS to the Edgeline Converged Edge Systems. The added capacity works well for those that leverage AI, video analytics, and databases at the edge.
Availability and Pricing
HPE Edgeline edge-to-cloud solutions are available now. The HPE Edgeline Extended Storage Adapter option kit is expected to be available in September 2018, with list prices starting at $299.