February 20th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
IBM Updates Its SDS, Data Protection, & Storage
IBM Storage announced several new innovations around its software-defined storage (SDS), data protection, and storage systems portfolio. These announcements aim to help drive down costs, ease management, increase security, all the while helping users scale their storage to meet the needs of growing data volumes. This is the first major announcement from IBM Storage since hitting four consecutive quarters of growth.
Data is growing at an exceptional rate but at the same time more and more customers are realizing the benefits that can be garnered from this data. To best take advantage of this data, organizations need to modernize their IT infrastructures while leverages technology like multi-cloud and AI. IBM is helping companies better utilize their potential by innovating and enhancing most of its storage line.
Innovations and enhancements include:
- IBM Spectrum Network Attached Storage (NAS) delivers enterprise capabilities and SDS simplicity with cost benefits for common file workloads, including support for Microsoft environments.
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, IBM’s easy-to-use backup solution for virtual environments is improved with enhanced database support and faster restores.
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus provides push-button simple automated data protection and provisioning for VMware in IBM Cloud.
- IBM Spectrum Protect helps address data security concerns with support for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and automated detection and alerting of ransomware.
- IBM Spectrum Storage Suite, IBM’s complete solution for software-defined storage needs, gains expanded range and value with the inclusion of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus at no additional charge.
- IBM Spectrum Connect simplifies management in complex server environments by providing a consistent experience when provisioning, monitoring, automating and orchestrating IBM storage in containerized, VMware, and Microsoft PowerShell environments.
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize helps lower data storage costs with new and better performing data reduction technologies for Storwize family, SVC, and FlashSystem V9000, and for over 440 multi-vendor storage systems.
- IBM Cloud Object Storage addresses client needs for unstructured data in regulated industries with FIPS PUB 140-2 support and SEC 17a-4(f) and CFTC 1.31(c)-(d) compliance assessment from Cohasset Associates.
- IBM Storage Utility Offering usage-based pricing now enables switching costs from a CAPEX centric model to an OPEX paradigm for on-premises IBM Cloud Object Storage.
- IBM Hyper-Scale Mobility enables migration from XIV Gen3 systems to all-flash IBM FlashSystem A9000/R without application and workload disruption.
- IBM FlashSystem 900 helps better meet demanding application requirements with lower latency storage access through support for Infiniband NVMe over Fabric.