September 19th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
NetApp Introduces NVMe Over InfiniBand For Big Data Analytics
Today NetApp introduced new offerings, including both new solutions and software, to its Big Data analytics portfolio. Amongst these new offerings is the NetApp Converged Infrastructure Solution for Data Analytics, the first available NVMe-enabled solution in this particular market. The new offerings bring cost-effectiveness and ultrafast performance to Big Data analytics.
Big Data, and the insights that can be gained from it, has been a central issue for some time now. However, there doesn’t seem to be too many solutions out there that can analyze Big Data in a time-effective manner to gain insights that can leveraged before the next big wave of data comes crushing in. Meaningful analytics should be the goal, and that is exactly what NetApp is promising with its new offerings.
The new solutions and software introduced include:
- NetApp EF570 all flash system – is the storage industry’s price/performance leader as demonstrated by SPC-1 and SPC-2 benchmark tests. The 4th generation all-flash array designed specifically for performance-intensive workloads such as big data analytics, technical computing and video surveillance, now delivers up to 21GBps of bandwidth, 1M sustained IOPS, sub-100 microsecond latency, and support for 100Gb NVMe over InfiniBand to increase application responsiveness and accelerate analytics – all in a compact, 2U package. The system supports 367TB of raw flash capacity in a modular 2U building block that scales to 1.8PB.
- NetApp E5700 Series hybrid-flash system – accelerates performance and increases density with a hybrid flash system that is perfectly suited for modern enterprise applications. It also supports 100Gb NVMe over InfiniBand.
- SANtricity Cloud Connector – enables Data Fabric capabilities by providing cost-effective backup and recovery to the cloud from E/EF-Series systems.
- NetApp SANtricitry software – SANtricity 11.4 now comes with security enhancements such as role-based access control and audit log, Active Directory support, an external key manager, and ships with on-box SANtricity System Manager.
- NetApp Converged Infrastructure Solution for Data Analytics – brings together the latest storage, networking, and server technologies in a pretested, prevalidated reference architecture to help simplify deployment of data analytics environments.
The new all-flash EF570 is aimed at the midrange. It now comes with 2x the throughput of the previous version. This new performance can, for example, reduce video processing by as much as 95%, reduce data analysis from weeks to hours, and quadruple response times for financial transactions.
The hybrid E5700 is designed with NetApp SANtricity operating system adaptive caching algorithms for a large range of application workloads. According to NetApp, the E5700 combines extremely high IOPS with sub-100 microsecond response times to increase application responsiveness and accelerate analytics, all while taking up either 2U or 4U of space. Through integration with NetApp Data Fabric, customers will see seamless backup and recovery to the hybrid cloud.
Both the all-flash EF570 and hybrid E5700 support multiple high-speed host interfaces including 32Gb Fibre Channel, 25Gb iSCSI, 100Gb InfiniBand, 12Gb SAS, and 100Gb NVMe over InfiniBand, making the EF570 and E5700 Series one of the first 2U arrays with support for NVMe. Both series leverage SANtricity software and offer extreme performance, unmatched value, and proven simplicity making them ideal for backup and recovery, technical computing, video surveillance, and big data analytics.
Availability and Pricing
The EF570 starts at $25K with 12 800GB SSDs and is expected to be available in October.