September 19th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
NETGEAR Releases Insight Remote Management For Networking
Today NETGEAR Inc, announced its new remote management and monitoring solution, NETGEAR Insight. Insight offers a plug-and-play set up and management of NETGEAR Wi-Fi access points, switches and storage devices. All controlled through a free mobile App. The company is also introducing what it refers to as the industry’s first fully-integrated, cloud-manageable network switches for SMB, in its Smart Cloud Switches as well as managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Points.
Setup and management of small business network devices can be a pain. Owners, their IT managers, or their IT contractors need to configure each device individually costing time and money. Smaller businesses need to focus more or their core business and less on configuring their network and its devices. NETGEAR is coming to the rescue with its Insight app management solution. According to the company, users will have multi-device configuration and instant management of their Insight Managed switches, wireless access points, and network storage as long as they have an Internet connection. The best part about the App is that it is free to download and there are no subscription fees.
Key Features of NETGEAR Insight app:
- Unified wired/wireless network management with data usage monitoring and logs
- Remote access with 24/7 visibility and control of all Insight Managed devices in the network
- Instant automated discovery of select NETGEAR access points, switches and storage
- One-tap device registration to simplify and streamline access to NETGEAR support options
- Easy-to-use network configuration across devices using a mobile device
- In-app firmware updates across all Insight Managed devices in the network
- Full remote/cloud network monitoring and management with no additional cloud controller, appliance, or PC/server necessary
- Email and instant push notifications and warnings on user network and device connectivity and network health
- In-app click through to NETGEAR support for registered devices
As part of the network devices that can be managed through the new App, NETGEAR is introducing four new network switches aimed at the SMB, that are fully-integrated and cloud-manageable through Insight. All four models provide 8 copper Gigabit Ethernet ports plus 2 SFP fiber ports for flexible connectivity as well as being desktop or wall-mountable. The new switches support a full suite of advanced L2 switching features, meaning it works for both the very simple network as well as for a more complex one, with some futureproofing built in for the fully converged network. The switches have some advanced features such as VLANs and LLDP support, Port Trunking, LAG and IGMP snooping, QoS and priority queuing, port-based rate limiting, RSTP and loop prevention, ACLs, storm control, port mirroring, and advanced per-port PoE controls.
The new network switches include:
- The GC110 is a compact, fan-less switch for anywhere deployment across the network.
- The GC110P features 8 copper Gigabit Ethernet PoE ports with a total of 62W PoE power for maximum flexibility and easy deployment in users’ networks. It’s also silent, and features advanced PoE controls.
- The GC510P features 8 copper Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ ports with a total of 134W PoE power for flexible deployment of full power PoE+ devices. The GC510P is also rack-mountable and fan-less for silent operation.
- The GC510PP features 8 copper Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ ports with a total of 195W PoE power for flexible deployment of high-density PoE+ devices. It’s also rack-mountable, and its whisper quiet fan keeps it running cool while maintaining near silent operation.
Along with switches, NETGEAR is announcing new wireless access points and ReadyNAS that also work with Insight. The two access points include the new WAC505 and WAC510. The current ReadyNAS that work with Insight include ReadyNAS 2000, 3000 and 4000 Rackmount Series and ReadyNAS 420, 520 and 620 Desktop Series.
With any of the above devices, they need to be connected to the network, placed where desired, and then they can easily be discovered through the Insight App where they then can be configured. With the switches, one can set up policies, see what is connected on each switch port, port speeds, and remotely manage PoE power. Access points are easily discovered and set up with the ability to change network policies without individual configuration. And with the NAS devices, they can be managed including firmware upgrade, diagnostics log download, shutdown, and more.