January 8th, 2018 by Lyle Smith
Netgear Unveils New Smart Cloud and Mega-Gigabit Switches
NETGEAR is expanding its comprehensive and popular switch portfolio with the addition of new 28-port models to its Insight Managed Smart Cloud Switches family and the industry’s first 5-speed Multi-Gigabit switching products. These products will be demonstrated at CES 2018 in Las Vegas.
The two new 28-Port Smart Cloud Switches are fully-integrated, cloud-manageable network switches for SMB use cases. All Insight Managed Smart Cloud Switches support a full suite of advanced switching features and have the ability to scale to the needs of growing businesses in order to meet the standards of a fully converged network.
Some of the advanced switching features include:
- VLANs (including Auto-VoIP & Auto-Video) and LLDP support
- Port trunking / Link aggregation and IGMP snooping
- QoS and priority queuing, port-based rate limiting, STP/RSTP and loop prevention
- ACLs, storm control and port mirroring
- Advanced per-port PoE controls, scheduling, and timers (PoE models)
- IPv6 management and support for future-proofing your network
- IPv4 and IPv6 static routing for optimizing your network outgoing traffic (28-port models only)
Like all Netgear switches, the new Insight Managed switches will be seamless to set up—all users need to do is plug the switch into their network and it will be discovered via the Insight app. Users then can set up policies across switches without having to configure each individual device. Insight displays what’s connected on each switch port, as well as the speed of the ports, and gives users the option to remotely manage PoE power such as enabling and disabling PD devices from anywhere and at any time.
The new Netgear for Business 5-Speed Multi-Gigabit switches include the XS512EM (12-Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports, Desktop and Rackmount) and the XS724EM (24-Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports, Rackmount). Both operate at 100Mbps, 1Gbps, 2.5Gbps, 5Gbps, or 10Gbps and provide easy, reliable and affordable connectivity with granular per-port bandwidth control through a user-friendly, intuitive interface. They also provide traffic monitoring without having to install new cabling, while its five speeds per Ethernet port make them extremely flexible and affordable 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit switches.
Netgear indicates that their new Multi-Gigabit switches feature add RECVS (Reliability, Enhanced Control, Visibility and Security) values to any SMB network:
- Reliability: Link Aggregation and Loop Prevention assure that the SMB networks are up and running to minimize possible downtimes.
- Enhanced Control: Improves your network performance with VLAN, QoS and Multicast Support.
- Visibility: Identifies any possible cable issues or abnormal traffic behavior with cable health test and port statistics.
- Security: Protects SMB networks for possible threats through Auto DoS and Storm Control.
Both Switches have the ability to operate in silent mode or with a quiet fan. This whisper quiet feature, coupled with their smaller form factor, makes the XS512EM ideal for smaller spaces.
- QoS, VLAN and network monitoring
- Auto "denial-of-service" (DoS) prevention
- Cable test, loop prevention and broadcast storm controls
- IGMP snooping v1, v2 and v3 support for multicast optimization
- Rate limiting and priority queuing for better bandwidth allocation
- Port mirroring for network monitoring
- Link Aggregation (static, LACP) to add redundancy and increase speed in your connections
- Energy efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az) for maximum power savings
Availability and Pricing
The Netgear Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch (GC728X) and PoE+ edition (GC728XP) is slated to ship sometime in February for $329.99 and $599.99, respectively.
The Business XS512EM 12-Port and XS724EM 24-Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switches are now available worldwide for $899.99 and $1699.99, respectively.