January 28th, 2019 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Asigra, DataCore, Scality, Cloudian, Veeam, FalconStor, Toshiba, & More
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content, not the impact they have. Asigra announces unlimited subscription license. DataCore simplifies migration to Kubernetes and Docker. Scality extends partnership with Veeam. Cloudian provides Veeam with multi-cloud storage. FalconStor renames flagship product to FalconStor Data Mastery Platform. Toshiba Memory first to sample UFS 3.0 Embedded Memory Devices. Teradici and IGEL announce expanded endpoint support for multicloud environments. NetApp announces the graduation of its third cohort. HP releases new ProBooks aimed at SMB.
Asigra Announces Unlimited Subscription License
To help alleviate the forecast of software licensing costs for MSP, Asigra announced its Unlimited Use Subscription License. The MSP works with Asigra and develops its new licensing model based off of its previous year usage and a jointly agreed upon growth commitment. This is good for the service provider as they have a fixed costs throughout the year even if their usage spikes.
DataCore Simplifies Migration To Kubernetes & Docker
DataCore released two plugins to ease the migration of enterprise applications to Kubernetes and Docker. These new plugins also provide several options for advanced data protection and recovery for dependable, predictable behavior at scale. The plugins are for the Kubernetes Container Storage Interface (CSI) v1.0.0 specification available on GitHub and for the Docker Volume Plugin specification available at Docker Hub.
Scality Extends Partnership With Veeam
Scality extends its partnership with Veeam by integrating its RING software-defined storage with Veeam’s new Cloud Tier. The two companies claim this integration can reduce long-term retention costs and make the scale-out backup repository capacity virtually infinite, thereby simplifying storage management, and allowing for much faster restore times due to low latency network access to object storage.
Cloudian Provides Veeam With Multi-Cloud Storage
Cloudian has announced that is HyperStore object storage platform can integrate with Veeam’s latest Availability Suite 9.5 Update 4. This integration provides the following benefits:
- Modular and limitless scalability: Unlike many other object storage providers that require users to over-provision, Cloudian enables customers to start small and then grow without limit. As more capacity is needed, they can non-disruptively add an additional node or even new locations to the cluster and that capacity becomes part of the available storage pool.
- Geo-distribution: HyperStore’s global data fabric means storage can be deployed anywhere but still be managed centrally from a single pane of glass.
- Hybrid/multi-cloud management: Cloudian enables seamless data management across public and private cloud environments.
- Multi-tenancy: HyperStore provides isolated storage environments within a shared system to ensure data privacy. In addition, it incorporates billing and quality-of-service features to help meet performance service level agreements.
- Up to 70 percent cost savings: By reducing CAPEX and eliminating expensive and time-consuming data migrations, Cloudian can cut data protection costs by up to 70 percent compared to purpose-built disk-based offerings and tape-based systems.
FalconStor Renames Flagship Product To FalconStor Data Mastery Platform
FalconStor has renamed its flagship product, FreeStor, to FalconStor Data Mastery Platform (FDMP). Aside from the name change FDMP is newly validated for AWS. Benefits include:
- Take the worry and pain out of cloud data management. The FalconStor Data Mastery Platform enables IT to easily move data center storage into the cloud for scalable, almost infinite capacity. FalconStor’s hardware-independent, vendor-agnostic platform gives IT all the power they need in a single solution to view, manage and move data seamlessly throughout their hybrid cloud environment.
- Get instant hero status in their organization with the ultimate in data availability. Leveraging the cloud with the FalconStor Data Mastery Platform dramatically enhances data protection and speeds disaster recovery, eliminating business disruption. Ideally suited for hybrid environments, FDMP automatically replicates on premises server storage to the cloud, manages the data, and allows copy back or failover to the cloud any time your data center is down, for the ultimate in low-cost protection and site security.
- Experience a new level of data management flexibility and value. Unlike competitors who offer only proprietary cloud extensions, the FalconStor Data Mastery Platform is completely untethered from hardware, deployable across any physical, virtual or cloud environment. From migrating storage and workspaces to the cloud to reduce data center expenses, to rapid storage replication to other cloud providers as a counter to sliding fees, FDMP enables IT to easily evaluate and optimize data storage ⏤in real-time, in one dashboard view.
Toshiba Memory First To Sample UFS 3.0 Embedded Memory Devices
Toshiba Memory America has started sampling its Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Ver. 3.0 embedded flash memory devices. These new UFS devise leverage Toshiba’s 96-layer BiCS Flash 3D NAND and come in capacity of 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB. The new UFS devices are compliant with JEDEC UFS Ver. 3.0, including HS-GEAR4, which has a theoretical interface speed of up to 11.6 Gigabits per second per lane (x2 lanes = 23.2Gbps) while being power efficient.
Teradici & IGEL Announce Expanded Endpoint Support For Multicloud Environments
Teradici and IGEL announced a new relationship whit week that would extend PCoIP Software Client for Linux to the IGEL family of thin clients. As part of the partnership, IGEL thin client users will be able to connect to Teradici Cloud Access Software and to Amazon WorkSpaces. The companies go on to state that with Teradici Cloud Access, IGEL customers will be able to connect to virtual workstations on any private, public, or hybrid cloud and visualize remotely hosted applications with the security and performance benefits of PCoIP technology.
NetApp Announces The Graduation Of Its 3rd Cohort
At its Excellerator Demo Day, NetApp announced the graduation of its third cohort of its Excellerator program that nurtures data driven technology startups. The third batch that graduated focuses on technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Cloud, Cyber Security, Analytics, applied in wide-impact areas like operations, marketing and healthcare. The six startups include CloudOptimo, InstaSafe, FirstHive, Praktice.ai, Cardiotrack and Zscore Technologies all of which were able to present their products to venture capitalists and were provided an equity-free grant of $15,000 from NetApp.
HP Releases New ProBooks Aimed At SMB
HP announced two new ProBooks aimed at the SMB market, the HP ProBook 445 G6 and HP ProBook 455 G6. Benefits include:
- Stylish design for every business. Features ultra-slim chassis with crisp lines, clean edges, and a natural silver finish. Near borderless displays provide an optimal viewing experience, and 180° hinge allows users to lay the device flat making it easier to share content and collaborate.
- Secure and manageable business features. Enhanced with a range of security features including the HP BIOSphere Gen4 firmware ecosystem that automates the BIOS protection and enables easy manageability. Features durable chassis with a 3D forged aluminum keyboard deck and stamped aluminum top cover. Built with connectivity options that can be tailored to user needs including the HP Connection Optimizer self-healing wireless driver technology.
- Powerful processing. Available with advanced AMD Ryzen quad-core processors and long battery life to get through deadline-driven, multi-tasking days. Quickly recharge the PCs and get up to 50% battery life with HP Fast Charge.
The HP ProBook 445 G6 and ProBook 455 G6 will be available this month starting at $549.