March 16th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Cloudian, Infinity Storage, CTERA, Kingston, INFINIDAT, Veeam, & More
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content, not the impact they have. Cloudian announces intent to acquire Infinity Storage. CTERA Networks announced a record 2017. Kingston releases new Canvas Series of Flash Cards. INFINIDAT and Veeam announce new integrations. LTO Program announces record 2017 shipments. Dell EMC releases a new DLm. Instana releases Grafana plugin. Microsemi enhanced its Switchtec PCIe Fabric Switch. ObjectRocket delivers MongoDB-as-a-Service on Azure.
Cloudian Acquires Infinity Storage
Cloudian announced that is has acquired Infinity Storage. Infinity Storage was an early pioneer in software-defined file storage solutions with their founder, Caterina Falchi, being the inventor of write-once-read-many (WORM) file system. This acquisition gives Cloudian’s customers an integrated file and object-based storage solutions that consolidate all unstructured data types into a limitlessly scalable storage pool.
CTERA Networks Announced A Record 2017
Like several other technology companies, CTERA Networks is also announcing that they had a fantastic 2017. The company announced that it was able to double its enterprise software subscription revenue this year, add new customers such as McDonald’s, and form new strategic partnerships with companies such as IBM, HPE, Dell EMC, and AWS. Product enhancements included:
- CTERA announced version 6.0 of the Enterprise File Services Platform, adding smart caching capabilities to its edge filers and endpoint agents that deliver infinite file capacity and content access to branch office environments and corporate users.
- CTERA added support for universal ACLs, making it simple for users to migrate legacy office file systems to a desktop or laptop experience. CTERA is the only technology vendor that enables NT-ACLs to follow collaboration policies across office file servers, desktops and even mobile devices.
- CTERA earned certification for FIPS 140-2, a U.S. federal government data encryption standard.
Kingston Releases New Canvas Series Of Flash Cards
Kingston Technology Company, Inc. has released a new series of Flash memory cards (in both SD and microSD form factors) the Canvas Series. The series comes in three different variations:
- Canvas Select:
- Designed to be reliable, making it ideal for filming in HD and shooting hi-res photos on either point and shoot cameras or smartphones.
- Class 10 UHS-I speeds up to 80MB/s read.
- SD in capacities up to 128GB and microSD up to 256GB available now.
- Canvas Go:
- For on-the-go shooters making it ideal for filming life’s adventures in 1080P or even 4K on DSLR, drone or action camera.
- Class 10 UHS-I U3 speeds up to 90MB/s read, 45MB/s write.
- SD in capacities up to 512GB and microSD up to 128GB.
- Canvas React:
- Designed to be as fast as you are, capturing 4K video or taking stunning burst-mode photos on DSLR, mirrorless camera, or smartphone.
- Class 10 UHS-I U3 speeds up to 100MB/s read, 80MB/s write.
- SD in capacities up to 256GB and microSD up to 128GB.
INFINIDAT & Veeam Announce New Integrations
INFINIDAT announced new integrations with Veeam’s Availability Platform, specifically the companies InfiniSnap snapshot technology. Highlights of the integrations include:
- Backup from Storage Snapshots: lowers the impact from backup activities on a VMware environment by retrieving virtual machine data.
- Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots: quickly and efficiently recovers individual items or entire VMs.
- Veeam On-Demand Sandbox: creates complete isolated copies of a production environment in just a few clicks, for fast and easy developing, testing, analyzing and troubleshooting.
- Snapshot Orchestration: improves recovery point objectives and mitigates potential data loss by using snapshot-only jobs to create additional, more frequent recovery points in the form of application-consistent or crash-consistent primary storage snapshots.
LTO Program Announces Record 2017 Shipments
The LTO Program Technology Provider Companies (TPCs), Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM Corporation, and Quantum have released their annual tape media shipment report. This year’s report hit a record 108,457PB of total tape capacity (compressed) for the year, a 12.9% increase. The total number of media units has decreased but more companies are switching to the higher capacity LTO-8 cartridges.
Dell EMC Releases A New DLm
Dell EMC announced the release of a new Disk Library for mainframe (DLm) 5.0 with the DLm8500. The DLm8500 will replace both the DLm2100 and DLm8100. Features include:
- Fastest Performance and up to 32 channels of 16Gb
- High availability via auto-failover Virtual Tape Engines and replicated storage
- Automated testing and failover with field-proven GDDR technology
Instana Releases Grafana Plugin
Instana announced the release of its Grafana premium datasource plugin for application and service performance metrics. According to the company, the new Plugin will allow seamless creation of custom Instana dashboards with the leading open source dashboard platform. The plugin is available now.
Microsemi Enhanced Its Switchtec PCIe Fabric Switch
Microsemi Corporation announced enhancements it made to its Switchtec PCIe advanced Fabric Switch (PAX). These enhancements will provides high-performance fabric connectivity and composability for multi-host graphics processing unit (GPU) and NVMe solid state drive (SSD) systems. Features include:
- High-performance PCIe fabric connectivity overcoming the limitations of the PCIe Specification for multi-host systems
- Multi-host sharing of SR-IOV NVMe SSDs, GPUs and other PCIe endpoints
- Virtualization of host PCIe domains and SR-IOV endpoints
- Software development kit (SDK) for virtualization of SR-IOV endpoints, and for enclosure management
- One of the industry’s most flexible port bifurcation, from x2 to x16 lanes per port
- High port density, with up to 48 ports
- Advanced error reporting
- Error containment for surprise-plug and unplug to prevent system crashes
- Advanced diagnostics and debug features to identify, diagnose and fix problems
- Separate Refclk Independent SSC (SRIS) for cabled PCIe and lower cost system designs
ObjectRocket Delivers MongoDB-as-a-Service On Azure
ObjectRocket announced its fully-managed MongoDB-as-a-service available on Microsoft Azure Cloud. This MongoDBaaS gives customers the abiality to manage their MongoDB instance via the ObjectRocket Control Panel. MongoDB instances are dedicated clusters of Azure virtual machines linked together and managed within an ObjectRocket Azure subscription.