June 2nd, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Cohesity, AIC, Ballistix, GIGABYTE, TYAN, Panzura, Seagate, Tegile, & AMD
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content not the impact they have. Cohesity partners with Lenovo. AIC announces new rack, NVMe series, and high-performance storage server solutions. Ballistix announces Tactical Tracer DDR4 RGB gaming memory modules. GIGABYTE expands its ARM server portfolio. TYAN showcases its new HPC and cloud computing server platforms. Panzura wins eight patents in sixty days. Seagate releases another Xbox drive for the game pass. Tegile expands its Lifetime Storage program to include controller refresh program. AMD announces two new GPUs, the Radeon Pro WX 2100 and WX 3100.
Cohesity Partners With Lenovo
Cohesity announced that it has received Lenovo Global IT certification. Lenovo used Cohesity’s platform on its internal IT before granting the certifications. Lenovo is announcing that it will be delivering Cohesity’s platform to customers in greater China.
AIC Announces New Rack, NVMe Series, & High-Performance Storage Server Solutions
At Computex 2017, AIC Inc. made a few announcements around its storage server solutions. The company announced the latest generation of its 48U Smart Rack and 15U19” Micro Rack. AIC showcased its new OCP solution rack as well. AIC unveiled its NVMe sever series, 1U and 2U servers that support most NVMe drive vendors. On top of that the company announced its 2U 4-node NVMe HCI storage server, the HP201-AD.
Ballistix Announces Tactical Tracer DDR4 RGB Gaming Memory Modules
Ballistix announced a new DDR4 RGB memory module aimed at gamers and PC modders, the Tactical Tracer. This new memory module enables users to control RGB LED giving them “ultimate customization and color matching.” The module has speeds of 2,666MT/s and is expected to be available in the third quarter of this year from Crucial.
GIGABYTE Expands Its ARM Server Portfolio
GIGABYTE Technology announced the availability of its high performance ARM server platforms based on Cavium's second-generation 64-bit ARMv8 ThunderX2 product family. These new platforms include the H16 a 2U server that supports 4 dual socket ThunderX2 compute nodes, 1TB memory capacity per sled, 24 2.5” drives, and multiple PCIe x16 slots.
TYAN Showcases Its New HPC & Cloud Computing Server Platforms
At Computex 2017, TYAN showcased some of its New HPC and cloud computing server platforms that will utilize the upcoming Intel Xeon Scalable CPU family. These include:
- FT76-B7922: 4U quad-socket Intel Xeon processor E7-8800/4800 v4-based platform with support for up to 4 Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor modules, 96 DDR4 DIMM slots, and 8 2.5 hot-swap SAS 12Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s devices
- FT77D-B7109: 4U dual-socket Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family-based platform with support for up to 8 Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor modules, and 14 2.5 hot-swap SATA 6Gb/s devices, 4 of the bays can support NVMe U.2 drives
- FT48B-B7100: 4U dual-socket Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family-based platform with support for up to 4 Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor modules, and 10 2.5 hot-swap SAS 12Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s devices
- FT48T-B7105: Pedestal dual-socket Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family-based platform with support for up to 5 Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor modules, and 8 3.5 hot-swap SAS 12Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s devices
- GA88-B5631: 1U single-socket Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family-based platform with support for up to 4 Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor modules, and 2 2.5 hot-swap SATA 6Gb/s devices
- GT86A-B7083: 1U dual-socket Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4-based platform supports up to 12 3.5 internal SATA 6Gb/s and 1 2.5 internal SSD boot devices
- GT75B-B7102: 1U dual-socket Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family-based platform supports up to 10 2.5 hot-swap SAS 12Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s devices, and 4 of the bays can support NVMe U.2 drives
- GT62F-B5630: 1U single-socket Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family-based platform supports up to 10 2.5 hot-swap SAS 12Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s devices, and 8 of the bays can support NVMe U.2 drives
- TN200-B7108-X4S: 2U 4-node dual-socket Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family-based platform. Each node supports up to 24 2.5 NVMe U.2 or SATA 6Gb/s drives
- GT24E-B7106: 1U dual-socket Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family-based platform supports up to 4 3.5 hot-swap SAS 12Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s devices, and 2 of the bays can support NVMe U.2 drives
- TN76-B7102: 2U dual-socket Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family-based platform supports up to 8 standard PCIe slots and 12 3.5 hot-swap SAS 12Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s devices
Panzura Wins 8 Patents In 60 Days
Panzura is happy to announce that in the last two months the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has awarded the company eight new patents. This brings the total amount of patents for the company up to 26 with 19 still pending. The patents awarded in the last 60 days cover:
- Data locality policies and caching: With Panzura, customers can control what data is cached and where to maximize performance by helping to eliminate the need to download data from the cloud. Competitors cannot deliver this granular level of control, which limits the level of performance their customers can enjoy.
- Global deduplication: Panzura’s ability to conduct global deduplication minimizes the data that is uploaded to the cloud. More specifically, data ingested at multiple locations will only appear once in the cloud. Additionally, Panzura enables every location to immediately read data, even after deduping for improved backup.
- Recovering a VM from the cloud: Customers can recover virtual machines (VMs) quickly, enabling them to get back up and running faster after disaster strikes. Competitors cannot recover a VM from the cloud, so recovery times are slower.
- Deleting a file from a distributed file system: Other vendors experience a time delay in file deletion, which can lead to data corruption. With Panzura, deletion is instantly communicated across filers, which eliminates the potential for data corruption at the time of deletion.
- Performing antivirus in a distributed file system: Unlike competing systems, Panzura can use a virtual machine (VM) in the cloud to perform antivirus (A/V) scans, which eliminates any performance degradation for end-users, prevents cache pollution on local Panzura filers, and eliminates the need to manage hardware for the scans.
- Distributed change notification: This patent covers a core technology that underpins the Panzura distributed file locking capability. Specifically, this technology protects and communicates file and folder changes between controllers while clients work on the same projects or files. A change notification is sent to the client if any other client or any other controller makes a change to the folder or files within the folder. As a result, end-users collaborating on a file from different locations experience interacting with files as if they were all working off the same physical device, because file updates and new files are instantly seen by everyone.
- Synchronizing file updates between two cloud controllers of a distributed file system: When data is needed by a user at another site, Panzura sends only the metadata. The receiving site then downloads the necessary data from the cloud. This is a thousand times faster than the way competitors accomplish this same feat using rsync. This patent is part of the Panzura SmartSync capability that helps make collaboration real time and protects customers from ransomware attacks by quickly restoring from snapshots.
- Distributed interim notifications: This technology ensures 100 percent data consistency in local caches, speeding up performance for the end user, even when files are accessed from multiple locations.
Seagate Releases Another Xbox Drive For The Game Pass
Seagate has released yet another external storage drive for Xbox Systems. This one coincides with Xbox’s release of a gaming subscription plan it is calling Xbox Game Pass. Game Pass will be similar to Netflix, offering several games for one monthly price. Users will be able to download an unlimited amount games in the Game Pass taking up valuable space. Once again Seagate is seizing this opportunity with up to 4TB of external space. As with the other drives, it is quick and easy to setup with no formatting needed. The drive is expected to be available this month starting at $89.99 for the 2TB model.
Tegile Expands Its Lifetime Storage Program To Include Controller Refresh Program
Tegile Systems has expanded its Lifetime Storage program to now include the Lifetime Storage Controller Refresh Program. The Lifetime Storage program allowed customers to refresh their entire systems every three to five years. The latest edition enables customers to choose to only refresh their controllers every three to five years, giving them a big performance bump without replacing the whole system.
AMD Announces 2 New GPUs, The Radeon Pro WX 2100 & WX 3100
AMD has announced two new professional GPUs, the Radeon Pro WX 2100 and WX 3100. AMD states that these are entry-level GPUs but bring enough performance for design and manufacturing, media and entertainment, and finance workflows. Features include:
- Certified applications and powerful driver optimizations: Both cards are certified and optimized for the most well-known professional design, engineering, and modelling programs on the market, including SOLIDWORKS, PTC Creo, Siemens NX, and CATIA. The WX 2100 and WX 3100 are the most powerful entry-level workstation graphics solution available with SOLIDWORKS-specific optimizations, performing 60 percent and 47 percent faster than their NVIDIA competitors, respectively.
- Generational improvements: The WX 2100 and WX 3100 have seen outstanding performance improvements over their predecessors, with 95 percent and 2.3x improvements over previous generations.
- Energy efficient design: Both graphics cards support unique power monitoring and management technologies, designed to reduce power consumption at idle.
The Radeon Pro WX 3100 starts at $199 and the WX 2100 starts at $149.