March 9th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Imanis, SonicWall, Kaminario, Commvault, MapR, Kubernetes, FUJIFILM, Sony, & More
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content, not the impact they have. Imanis raises $13.5 million in funding. SonicWall releases its 2018 Cyber Threat Report. Kaminario and Commvault partner on automated operational backup and recovery. MapR extends data fabric for Kubernetes. Cloud Constellation Corporation and Wasabi announce cloud storage partnership. D-Link launches new line of multi-gigabit smart managed Ethernet switches. AHEAD announces new VMware Cloud on AWS offering. FUJIFILM wins another round in court against Sony.
Imanis Raises $13.5 Million In Funding
Imanis Data announced that it has raised $13.5 million in capital. The new funding will be used to capitalize on the strong demand the company is seeing for its suite of data management solutions and strengthen relationships with major cloud players. The company also named John Mracek as its new CEO.
SonicWall Releases Its 2018 Cyber Threat Report
SonicWall has released its annual Cyber Threat Report. Key findings include:
- Total ransomware attack volume declines. Full-year data shows that ransomware attacks dropped from 638 million to 184 million between 2016 and 2017.
- SSL/TLS use increases again. Traffic encrypted by SSL/TLS standards increased 24 percent and represented 68 percent of total sessions in 2017.
- Effectiveness of exploit kits impacted. With most browsers dropping support of Adobe Flash, no critical Flash vulnerabilities were discovered in 2017. Cybercriminals are having to work harder to find new vectors for leveraging exploit kits.
- Law enforcement turns the tide. Key arrests of cybercriminals continued to help disrupt malware supply chains and impact the rise of new would-be hackers and authors.
- More unique types of ransomware found in the wild. While the total volume of ransomware attacks was down significantly year over year, the number of ransomware variants in play increased 101.2 percent in 2017. SonicWall Capture Labs threat researchers created 2,855 new unique ransomware signatures for the year.
- Encryption still cloaking cyberattacks. Without the ability to inspect encrypted traffic, the average organization would have missed over 900 file-based attacks per year hidden by SSL/TLS encryption.
- Malware cocktails mixing things up. While no single exploit rose to the level of Angler or Neutrino in 2016, there were plenty of malware writers leveraging one another’s code and mixing them to form new malware, thus putting a strain on signature-only security controls.
- IoT and chip processors are emerging battlegrounds. Cybercriminals are pushing new attack techniques into advanced technology spaces, notably the Internet of Things (IoT) and chip processors.
Kaminario & Commvault Partner On Automated Operational Backup & Recovery
Kaminario is combining its Composable Data Platform with Commvault’s IntelliSnap snapshot technology. This combination is said to automate application-consistent data protection and copy data management workflows with the power of all-flash. Benefits include:
- Enhanced disaster recovery to the cloud when backing up native Kaminario snapshots directly to public cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Azure
- Improved ability to restore anywhere and to multiple clients
- Single-click revert and restore anywhere feature, based on Kaminario native snapshots
- Seamless Kaminario snapshot integration with virtualized environments enabling full VM, VMDK, file level and application data restores
MapR Extends Data Fabric For Kubernetes
MapR Technologies, Inc. announced that it extended advanced containers integration into the MapR Converged Data Platform. According to the company, this allows the MapR Data Fabric now includes a natively integrated Kubernetes volume driver to provide persistent storage volumes for access to any data – from databases, files and streaming – located on-premises, across clouds and to the edge. Other capabilities include:
- Differentiated data services within a cloud through data synchronization and integrity across availability zones to meet high availability requirements.
- Cross-cloud data bursting to support cloud neutral deployments with the ability to optimize application processing for cost, performance, and compliance. Cross data access support includes NFS, S3, HDFS, ODBC.
- Supports easy on-ramp from on-premises and private cloud deployments to public cloud.
Cloud Constellation Corporation & Wasabi Announce Cloud Storage Partnership
Cloud Constellation Corporation and Wasabi are collaborating to deliver what they are calling, a new generation of cloud data storage and security services. The new services will be based off of Wasabi’s high-performance cloud data storage and Cloud Constellation’s SpaceBelt Data Security as a Service. This will help users bypass typical security issues by leveraging satellite storage.
D-Link Launches New Line Of Multi-Gigabit Smart Managed Ethernet Switches
D-Link announced a new family of cost-effective Multi-Gigabit witches, the DMS-1100 2.5 Gigabit Series. Features include:
- Rich Layer 2 Features: STP, RSTP, ERPS, 802.1Q/Port/Asymmetric VLAN, Port mirroring, IGMP/MLD Snooping, LACP
- Intuitive Management: D-Link Network Assistant (DNA) utility, web-based GUI and built-in SNMP MIB for remote NMS (D-View/DNA)
- Security Features: D-Link Safeguard Engine, DoS attack prevention
- Green Technology: Includes power saving features such as LED shutoff, link status, port shutoff, and system hibernation
The new Series is expected to be available this month.
AHEAD Announces New VMware Cloud on AWS Offering
AHEAD achieved the VMware Cloud on AWS Solution Competency. This means it can now offer VMware Cloud on AWS to its customers. Services it now offers include:
- Environment Analysis and Readiness Services: Prepare environments for vSphere 6.5 and VMware Cloud integration, create and execute a vSphere 6.5 upgrade plan and enable automated disaster recovery
- Application Discovery Framework: Discover and map applications and acquire a complete understanding of the application environment
- VMware Cloud Design and Deployment: Design and deploy VMware Cloud on AWS environments, extending on-premises infrastructure while enabling native public cloud services
- VMware Cloud Hybrid Cloud Design and Deployment: Leverage NSX and vRealize Network Insight, accelerate the deployment of application stacks and implement highly available connectivity between VMware Cloud and on-premises
- VMware Cloud Migration Services: Use application assessments and a programmatic migration framework to create migration waves, migration windows and technical and executive reporting
- AWS Foundational Design and Deployment: Design and deploy AWS foundational cloud solutions, including education, customer- and application-specific design and deployment of AWS Cloud infrastructure
- Cloud Automation Services: Improve quality and consistency of services as well as speed of service delivery, integrate VMware Cloud as an endpoint for self-service and implement the organization’s CMDB / ITSM / ITIL processes
FUJIFILM Wins Another Round In Court Against Sony
In the ongoing legal saga between FUJIFIM and Sony Corporation, FUJIFILM one this round getting a limited exclusion order and a cease and desist order directed at Sony Corporation and its affiliates. The United States International Trade Commission (ITC) found that Sony is unlawfully importing into the United States certain magnetic data storage cartridge products that infringe a Fujifilm U.S. patent. This could block certain LTO-7 Ultrium tape cartridges form being imported. And people think tape is boring.