March 4th, 2019 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Micro Focus, Veeam, TYAN, Cohesity, Samsung, Pivot3, Zadara, & More
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content, not the impact they have. Micro Focus completes acquisition of Interset. Veeam achieves backup certification for SAP HANA. TYAN introduces new embedded server motherboards. Cohesity announces new capabilities. Samsung begins mass production on 512GB eUFS 3.0. Pivot3 reports 40% revenue growth in the fourth quarter of 2018. Zadara increases features for its Virtual Private Storage Array on AWS. Sony announces CFexpress Type B Memory Card. Veritas Backup Exec Certified For Microsoft Azure and Windows Server 2019.
Micro Focus Completes Acquisition of Interset
Micro Focus announced that it has completed the acquisition of the security analytics software company, Interset. This will bring Interset’s security analytics software to Micro Focus, adding in an additional level of highly intelligent and accurate cyber-threat protection. Key attributes of the Interset technology include:
- Extensible analytics – With multiple use cases out of the box – including inside threats, targeted attacks, and fraud – the technology eliminates the need for expensive product consultations and customization.
- Principled math – The software utilizes a growing library of more than 350 proven machine-learning and advanced-analytics models, applying them to both events and entities, to yield a highly accurate means of detecting, connecting, and quantifying high-risk behaviors.
- Scalable Big Data – The flexible, open platform combines an advanced-analytics engine with open-source, big-data technology, including Kafka, Spark, Phoenix, Hadoop, HBase, Elasticsearch, ZooKeeper, d3, and Kibana. It can be deployed in the Vertica, Hortonworks or Cloudera infrastructures, scaling to meet the needs of the largest, most-sophisticated environments.
Veeam Achieves Backup Certification for SAP HANA
Veeam Software announced it has a Veeam Plug-in for SAP HANA, a SAP Certified Integration for SAP HANA. Key integrations and benefits include:
- Easy to integrate and SAP certified BACKINT plug-in
- Gives SAP Administrators 100 percent control of the backup and restore processes
- Industry-leading performance and scalability with Veeam’s Scale-out Backup Repository (SOBR), as multiple repository servers can be used in parallel to boost backup and restore performance and to scale across multiple storage systems.
TYAN Introduces New Embedded Server Motherboards
At Embedded World 2019 in Nuremberg, Germany, TYAN showcased several of its new embedded server motherboards. These include:
- Tempest EX S5550-EX: Single-socket Intel Xeon E-2100 processor or 8th Generation Intel Core i3 processor-based server board in Micro-ATX (9.6" x 9.6") form factor with 7-year longevity supply and wide-range operating temperature for embedded and IoT applications
- Tempest EX S5552-EX: Single-socket Intel Xeon E-2100 processor or 8th Generation Intel Core i3 processor-based server board in ATX (12" x 9.6") form factor with 7-year longevity supply and wide-range operating temperature for embedded and IoT applications
- Tempest EX S5555-EX: 8th Generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 series processor-based workstation board in Micro-ATX (9.6" x 9.6") form factor with 7-year longevity supply, wide-range operating temperature and EMC class B compliant for embedded workstation and IoT applications
- Tempest CX S5550: Single-socket Intel Xeon E-2100 processor or 8th Generation Intel Core i3 processor-based server board in Micro-ATX (9.6" x 9.6") form factor for entry server applications
- Tempest CX S5552: Single-socket Intel Xeon E-2100 processor or 8th Generation Intel Core i3 processor-based server board in ATX (12" x 9.6") form factor for server storage applications
- Tempest EX S5555-HE: Single-socket Intel Xeon E-2100 processor-based workstation board in Micro-ATX (9.6" x 9.6") form factor for embedded workstation and IoT applications
- Tempest EX S5557: 8th Generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 series processor-based workstation board in Thin Mini-ITX (6.7” x 6.7”) form factor for IoT appliance deployment
- Tempest EX S7100-EX:Dual-socket Intel Xeon Scalable Processor-based server/workstation board in SSI EEB (12" x 13") form factor with 7-year longevity supply, wide-range operating temperature and EMC class B compliant for embedded workstation
- Tempest HX S7105: Dual-socket Intel Xeon Scalable Processor-based server board in proprietary (14.23" x 13.24") form factor designed for multi-GPU deployment
- Thunder EX NR38-B3226: Intel Atom Processor C3000 series-based server platform with support up to 4 DDR4 DIMM slots, 2 bypass GbE pairs, 2 GbE with PoE, 2 GbE, 2 10GbE and 1 2.5” HDD storage bay
Cohesity Announces New Capabilities
Cohesity announced new capabilities for its DataPlatform that enables companies to run third party applications directly on the company’s platform. Benefits include:
- Extracting maximum business insights: Enterprises are able to utilize applications to derive deep analytical business insights from all of their backup and unstructured data because the applications are running directly on the Cohesity DataPlatform. This eliminates the need to make copies of the backup data and move that data to separate infrastructure.
- Increasing efficiencies while reducing costs: When companies are forced to use separate infrastructure for running applications, this creates infrastructure silos and exacerbates mass data fragmentation challenges -- often leading to increased costs and management headaches. Running applications directly on Cohesity solves these problems and gives customers the ability to manage everything from one user interface.
- Increasing visibility and data compliance: Customers will now be able to run applications that look holistically across all of their backup and unstructured data, which can play a key role in advancing business-critical goals around compliance, eDiscovery, and security.
The company also introduced the Cohesity Marketplace, their take on an App store. Applications include:
- Splunk Enterprise: Customers can utilize Splunk Enterprise to analyze, investigate, and take action from their backup and unstructured data sets. Customers can download Splunk Enterprise from the Cohesity MarketPlace and run it on the Cohesity DataPlatform, making it easy to deliver business outcomes from real-time insights.
- SentinelOne: Customers can run SentinelOne Anti-Virus, which provides up-to-date virus libraries based on machine-learning algorithms, directly on the Cohesity DataPlatform. Internet connectivity is not needed.
- Clam Anti-Virus: Enterprises can defend their file infrastructure against attacks by running the Clam Anti-Virus open-source application directly on file data stored on the Cohesity DataPlatform, instead of copying the data onto parallel infrastructure for analysis.
- Imanis Data: Imanis Data expands Cohesity DataProtect capabilities to ensure protection of modern NoSQL workloads.
- Insight: This application uses a powerful index to search data as it is stored on the Cohesity DataPlatform, helping customers easily locate and take action on their data for compliance, legal, or day-to-day business needs.
- Spotlight: Customers can utilize this application to monitor any modifications to file data. For example, this application can determine, through anomaly detection, if there may have been a potential internal or external security breach, like a ransomware attack. Organizations can also easily search audit logs and obtain alerts on who is creating, modifying, accessing, or deleting files. This gives organizations significantly greater visibility and control over enterprise data.
- EasyScript: This application streamlines the complex and time-consuming process of uploading, executing, and managing scripts by providing convenient access to all script creation elements, along with Cohesity APIs and sample scripts, enabling enterprises to quickly and easily leverage customized scripts.
Samsung Begins Mass Production On 512GB eUFS 3.0
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., announced that it is mass-producing 512GB embedded Universal Flash Storage (eUFS) 3.0 for mobile devices. Samsung claims that the latest version of its eUFS can hit speeds of 2.1GB/s read and 410BM/s write with throughput of 63K IOPS read and 68K IOPS write. The company plans on releasing both 256GB and 1TB models later this year.
Pivot3 Reports 40% Revenue Growth in Q418
Pivot3 announces yet another good quarter, though being private we don’t have hard numbers. Aside from 40% revenue growth the company also reported:
- Continued traction among some of the world’s largest enterprises and Fortune 1000 companies, with more than 80-percent of the company’s sales in 2018 coming from this market. In addition, Pivot3 saw a 32-percent increase in the average size of deals from 2017 to 2018, with over half of 2018 deals coming from existing customers expanding their successful deployments
- Significant momentum in key high-growth verticals throughout 2018, including a nearly 60-percent increase in revenue from public-sector customers and more than 100-percent increase in revenue from shipping and transportation customers
- Strong growth around the globe, with the LATAM market contributing 10 percent of 2018 sales in addition to continued momentum in the MEA, Europe and APAC regions
- Enhanced the Intelligence Engine with new policy-based security management capabilities. This allows organizations to automate and simplify the process of protecting sensitive data with comprehensive, standards-based security for encryption and key management, and to facilitate regulatory compliance as customers acquire and manage data across the edge, core and cloud. Encryption is important in more use cases and Pivot3’s automated native encryption is a significant benefit with its high performance
- Introduced the Pivot3 Architect and Engineer (A&E) Program, providing architects, engineers and consultants with the resources and support needed to make intelligent decisions when specifying infrastructure platforms at the core of enterprise-class IoT, video surveillance and security solutions for their clients
Zadara Increases Features For Its Virtual Private Storage Array on AWS
Zadara announced that it has added features to its Virtual Private Storage Array (VPSA) on AWS marketplace. New features include any capacity needed, with volumes up to 288TB, the option of all-flash, spinning disks, or hybrid, dual HA controllers, dedicated high performance drives and enterprise-class storage features (snapshots, replication, deduplication, thin provisioning, encryption, and NAS and SAN service with NFS, CIFS/AD and iSCSI interfaces.
Sony Announces CFexpress Type B Memory Card
Sony Electronics Inc. has developed a new CRexpres Type B memory card (CEB-G128). The company states the card can hit 1.7GB/s read and 1.48GB/s write and comes in a capacity of 128GB, with future releases of 256GB and 512GB. The card and card reader are expected to be available this summer.
Veritas Backup Exec Certified For Azure & Windows Server 2019
Veritas Technologies announced that its unified data protection solution Veritas Backup Exec has obtained certification for Microsoft Azure and Windows Server 2019. The two companies have worked together for the last 25 years and the new certification enables customers to be able to hit their SLAs for Azure and Windows Server 2019. Customers also have full coverage form day one for Azure and Windows Server 2019.