May 14th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Portworx, VMware, HP, AMD, Teradici, Citrix, Cisco, StorMagic, & More
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content, not the impact they have. Portworx is certified on Red Hat OpenShift. VMware updates Horizon 7 and Horizon Cloud. HP introduces new EliteBooks and ProBooks. AMD updates its Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Suite. Teradici expands Cloud Access Software. StorMagic launches edge appliance for Citrix Cloud. Flexxible IT collaborates with HPE delivering Citrix Workspaces.
Portworx Is Certified On Red Hat OpenShift
Portworx is certified by Red Hat for OpenShift Container platform. The newly announced PX-Enterprise 1.4 is now available in the Red Hat Container Catalog. Now users will be able to leverage PX-Enterprise on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, this allows them to run hyperconverged with data even in the event of pod rescheduling, enabling ultra-fast IO.
VMware Updates Horizon 7 & Horizon Cloud
VMware has updated Horizon 7 and Horizon Cloud. New features include:
- Tech Preview of Workspace ONE Intelligence for Horizon and Horizon Apps to provide users with a single pane of glass to manage endpoints.
- Horizon 7 joins VMware Cloud on AWS to extend on premises Horizon 7 deployments to the cloud.
- Beta availability of NVIDIA vGPUs with Horizon Cloud Win10 apps and desktops with IBM SoftLayer.
- New subscription licensing for Workspace ONE and Horizon to allow users to deploy Horizon 7 or Horizon Cloud for one low price.
HP Introduces New EliteBooks & ProBooks
HP released new EliteBook 700 series laptops and as well as a new ProBook 645 G4. The new computers offer enterprise-grade security and manageability, along with powerful collaboration features as well as flexible configurations options for the ProBook. Other EliteBook features include:
- Precision design: An ultra slim design and narrow bezel displays with optional extra-bright viewable screen and integrated ambient light sensor make it comfortable to work in almost any light condition.
- Secure foundation: Self-healing, hardware-enforced, and manageable security helps protect the PCs, and the built-in HP Sure View privacy screen keeps business more secure.
- Crystal-clear collaboration: Stay connected and make PC calls more productive with a world-facing, noise cancellation microphone and a collaboration keyboard to easily manage calls at the touch of a button.
The HP EliteBook 700 series will be available in May starting at $999. The HP ProBook 645 G4 will be available in May starting at $759.
AMD Updates Its Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Suite
AMD released the latest updates to its Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Suite, Driver 18.Q2. Benefits include:
- Improved application performance: Significant year-over-year performance improvements in leading professional applications, including Siemens NX (47 percent), Autodesk 3ds Max (44 percent), CATIA (37 percent), Creo (14 percent) and SOLIDWORKS (12 percent).
- Greater stability: The 18.Q2 driver delivers the quality and reliability that IT professionals demand. AMD’s extensive ISV certification and real-world testing result in enterprise software certified on over 80 of the leading professional applications, along with zero issues reported from 99.99 percent of customers.
- Top-notch security, 24/7: Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Edition 18.Q2 delivers advanced security features, working in tandem with Windows Defender Device Guard when using Windows 10 Enterprise edition to help thwart malicious attacks, giving you added protection for your valuable intellectual property.
- Supports the Windows 10 April 2018 Update: The 18.Q2 driver is ready for when enterprises decide to roll out the latest Microsoft Windows update.
- New Windows versions of the Radeon ProRender plug-ins for Blender and Maya: Following the release of new macOS versions in April, AMD is introducing updated Windows and Linux versions of the Radeon ProRender plug-in for Blender, an updated version of the Windows plug-in for Maya, as well as updating the Radeon ProRender plug-in for 3ds Max. These plug-ins introduce several new features and enhancements including updates to the Uber and Light Shaders, support for volumetrics and interactive denoising – accelerating artists’ workflows and ultimately making their lives easier.
Teradici Expands Cloud Access Software
Teradici released Cloud Access Software 2.12 with the availability of Cloud Access Manager, a SaaS brokering and provisioning service, and Management Console Enterprise 3.1. 2.12 adds support for Wacom tablets on both Windows and Linux environments something that is beneficial to the M&E market. Cloud Access Manager uses automation to streamline management of Cloud Access Software and the deploying of new remote desktops and workstations.
The new version of Cloud Access Software is available now.
StorMagic Launches Edge Appliance For Citrix Cloud
At Citrix Synergy in Anahiem, StorMagic announced the launch of what it calls the first Edge Appliance designed to support Citrix Cloud services. The solution is a combination of Cisco Infrastructure with Citrix technology with the direct connection made available by StorMagic. The new solution is available now.
Flexxible IT Collaborates With HPE Delivering Citrix Workspaces
Also at Citrix Synergy, Flexxible IT and HPE signed an OEM agreement to deliver Flexxible│SmartWorkspaces Appliance for Citrix Cloud. Built on HPE Gen10 sever platfroms, the Flexxible│SmartWorkspaces Appliance for Citrix Cloud delivers ready-to-use virtual workspaces powered by Citrix Cloud services and Citrix XenServer, with multi-tenant and multi-environment cloud console management, automated deployment and simple scaling. Flexxible│SmartWorkspaces Appliance for Citrix Cloud is available now.