February 11th, 2019 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Unisys, Actifio, IBM, Quantum, vArmour, Quest Software, Cisco, & More
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content, not the impact they have. Unisys launches CloudForte for Microsoft Azure. Actifio announces OEM agreement with IBM. Quantum unveils latest Xcellis appliance. vArmour raises $44 million in Series E funding. Quest Software joins Veeam Partner Program. Cisco completes acquisition of Luxtera. NetApp powers Ducati’s Data-Driven Team. Veritas achieves AWS Storage Competency status. Carbonite to acquire Webroot.
Unisys Launches CloudForte For Microsoft Azure
Unisys launched its managed service solution for government, CloudForte for Microsoft Azure. The main thrust of this service is to automate and accelerate digital transformation and the use of the cloud. Capabilities include:
- Faster, lower-risk Azure adoption: The Unisys Cloud Center of Enablement leverages more than 300 Microsoft-certified professionals to help government agencies and enterprises fully embrace the cloud
- Secure access to all Azure cloud services: CloudForte delivers access to cloud services as they are released by Microsoft, as well as a curated catalog of pre-built automated blueprints for creation of comprehensive solutions and self-service provisioning
- Continuous compliance and automated governance: CloudForte provides automated tools to enable organizations to establish and enforce effective governance frameworks respective to their desired security and financial policies in real or near real time
- Accurate, transparent billing and cost governance for all Azure services: CloudForte provides contract-invoicing capabilities, cost visibility and governance that are fully compliant with industry regulations and federal government mandates
- Industrial-grade modernization of legacy applications: CloudForte helps to identify legacy IT assets – from the simple to the most complex – and to prioritize their migration to the cloud
- Real-time analytics and single-pane management: CloudForte enables self-healing systems for continuous operational improvement and transparent management for multi- and hybrid cloud environments
- Zero trust security: Unisys offers deep expertise in enterprise security for mobile and cloud environments, including Unisys Stealth identity-based microsegmentation products and services to prevent and minimize the impact of cyberattacks across networks, environments and devices from inside and outside the perimeter
Actifio Announces OEM Agreement With IBM
Actifio announced that it has entered an OEM agreement with IBM enabling the latter company to leverage Actifio’s patented Virtual Data Pipeline technology for its new IBM InfoSphere Virtual Data Pipeline (VDP) offering. The thrust of the new product that uses both technologies is to speed up the modernization, development and evolution of new data-driven applications within hybrid and multicloud environments.
Quantum Unveils Latest Xcellis Appliance
Quantum Corp. launched its latest Xcellis appliances powered by StorNext. This particular appliance is geared toward video workflows. The appliance leverages dual 8-core Intel Xeon CPU’s, 64 GB memory, SSD boot drives, and dual 100Gb Ethernet or 32 Gb Fibre Channel ports.
vArmour Raises $44 Million In Series E Funding
The API-drive cloud security company, vArmour announced that it has raised an additional $44 million in Series E funding. This round was lead by AllegisCyber and NightDragon, with participation from existing investors.
Quest Software Joins Veeam Partner Program
Quest Software announced that is has joined Veeam’s Alliance Partner Program. Quest is also announcing that is software-defined secondary storage platform, QoreStor, has been verified as a Veeam Ready Repository. This means users of Veeam Backup & Replication can now uses QoreStor as a backup repository, that the company states will reduce storage and accelerate backups.
Cisco Completes Acquisition Of Luxtera
Cisco completed yet another acquisition as it seemingly strives to buy up every company it can. This week it was the privately held company Luxtera, Inc. Cisco will integrate Luxtera’s semiconductor technology into its networking portfolio.
NetApp Powers Ducati’s Data-Driven Team
NetApp has renewed its official sponsorship of the Ducati Team in the 2019 MotoGP World Championship. The partnership includes:
- With the NetApp cloud-connected AFF solution, Ducati can now easily manage approximately 200 applications and more than 300TB of data to grant reliable real-time access to the world’s fastest enterprise all-flash storage. This storage can be accessed from anywhere in the world, across multiple clouds, with full GDPR compliance, and with the quick implementation of a disaster recovery strategy.
- With the NetApp HCI solution, the power of an entire data center is delivered directly to the Ducati MotoGP team at the race track. This enables faster data-driven decisions to create winning strategies for the racing team through the powerful hybrid cloud infrastructure.
Veritas Achieves AWS Storage Competency Status
Veritas Technologies announced that its two main products, Veritas NetBackup and Veritas Backup Exec, have attained Amazon Web Services (AWS) Storage Competency status. Veritas states that both NetBackup and Backup Exec now support multiple AWS storage classes, including Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), Amazon S3 Standard-Infrequent Access (Amazon S3 Standard-IA), and Amazon Glacier. The company has also developed new long-term retention (LTR) products that are available in the AWS Solution Space. They include:
- Modern data center backup with Veritas and AWS – Veritas NetBackup and Cloud Catalyst solutions are designed to help organizations store copies of their backup data to AWS more easily, while maintaining data optimization. This helps organizations address costs associated with storing large amounts of data in a cloud repository and can help increase data transfer performance.
- AWS for LTR – Veritas NetBackup software and appliance solutions leverage AWS to make it a great choice for storing backup data to the cloud, especially for LTR.
Carbonite To Acquire Webroot
Carbonite announced that it intends to acquire the cybersecurity company, Webroot Inc. The dollar amount is $615.8 million, making it Carbonite’s largest acquisition to date. The combined technology will address endpoint vulnerabilities.