February 16th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: VIAVI, Pivot3, Silicon Power, Tachyum, Cloudian, Dell EMC, AMD, & More
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content, not the impact they have. VIAVI unveils monitoring as a service. Pivot3 announces a terrific fourth quarter. Silicon power releases its first PCIe SSDs. Tachyum receives venture capital investment from IPM. Cloudian announces record growth for third straight year. Dell EMC unifies its ProDeploy Suite. AMD announces Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Edition 18.Q1. Apricorn releases 12TB Padlock DT. IBM & SpaceBelt collaborate on cloud storage in space.
VIAVI Unveils Monitoring As A Service
VIAVI Solutions launched its active performance monitoring available as a service, ObserverLIVE. ObserverLIVE is able to:
- Service responsiveness – monitors availability and end user response times for on-premise and SaaS applications
- Network performance – standards-based testing of network connections, yielding key performance indicators and performance baselines
- VoIP quality – assesses the quality and consistency of VoIP traffic delivered across public or private end-to-end connections
- Troubleshooting – deployed to end users’ systems on demand to investigate and help resolve performance problems.
Pivot3 Announces A Terrific Fourth Quarter
Pivot3 is happy to report yet another successful year. The company experienced significant growth seeing over 65% growth in sales from the first half of the year to the second. Fourth quarter accomplishments include:
- Increased penetration into large enterprise and Fortune 1000 companies, with nearly 60 percent of the company’s 2017 revenue coming from that customer segment. These large enterprises – a segment that demands the highest technology standards – selected Pivot3 due to the its ability to support multiple mixed-application and mission-critical workloads on one infrastructure, and deliver industry-leading performance and reliability
- Increased demand for the Acuity HCI platform, with the sales pipeline increasing by more than 250 percent from Q3 to Q4 and system sizes continuing to rise. Launched in April 2017, Acuity is the industry’s only policy-based platform with advanced quality of service and NVMe flash performance – ideal for organizations seeking a high-performance solution for data-intensive mixed application workloads
- Significant momentum with IoT smart city and safe city use cases around the world, which were one third of the company’s revenue in the second half of 2017. With cities and states beginning to use IoT technologies to increase public safety and operate more efficiently, datacenter infrastructures are evolving to support applications such as license plate and facial recognition or access control. These broadening use cases typically require more processing power, making Pivot3 HCI the ideal platform with its intelligent policy and priority management capabilities
- A diverse range of new customers, including one of the world’s largest hyperscale social networks, a top-three telecommunications company, a leading national shipping and logistics provider, and several cities and states with comprehensive safe city programs throughout the United States, Latin America and the Middle East
- Continued growth of the Global Channel Partner Program, with deal registrations from the channel increasing by more than 63 percent from 1H to 2H 2017 and a 26-percent increase in new partners over the same time-period
- Expanded the company’s go-to-market capacity by adding Arrow Electronics as a distribution partner, and expanded strategic partnerships with Lenovo, JCI/Tyco, PCM and other
Silicon Power Releases Its First PCIe SSDs
Silicon Power announced its first PCIe SSDs, the P32A80 and P32A85. The new drives are aimed at designers or other users of intensive graphic editing capabilities. Features include:
- Combined synchronous NAND flash chip technology and RAID support for superior transfer rates and boot times without compromising stability or data integrity
- Equipped with the latest PCIe Gen 3x2 Interface for accelerated read/write speeds of up to 1,600/1,000 MB/s, supporting both NVMe 1.2 and Host Memory Buffer (HMB) to reduce power consumption
Tachyum Receives Venture Capital Investment From IPM
Tachyum Inc., a cloud chip company and Silicon Valley startup, announced that it has received capital investment from InfraPartners Management LLP (“IPM LLP”), a global multi-asset class fund management and advisory firm. Tachyum’s “cloud chips” are still under development but the company states that they will reduce data center compute and storage hardware capital expenditure by 3x, total cost of ownership by 4x and hardware power consumption by 10-15x, and reduce rack space by over 90 percent.
Cloudian Announces Record Growth For Third Straight Year
Cloudian is happy to announced record growth for the company going on three years now. The company also released two new products this year, HyperFile and HyperStore 7. Highlights include:
- Grew customer base by 100 percent
- Realized five-fold increase in repeat purchases from existing customers
- Achieved record revenues in every quarter
- Formed strong cloud partnerships with Microsoft Azure and Google GCP
- Signed HP Enterprise as a reseller partner and continued strong OEM relationship with Lenovo
- Extended relationship with Cisco, joined Cisco Media Blueprint for media and entertainment solutions
- Engaged in activities with AI-focused companies, including NVIDIA, Skymind, ABEJA, Xcompass and Axis Communications
- Grew Cloudian team to more than 130 people
- Extended Cloudian EMEA presence with new teams in France, Germany and Italy
- Introduced enterprise-class file management solution
- Launched multi-cloud data management platform
Dell EMC Unifies Its ProDeploy Suite
Dell EMC announced its unification of its ProDeploy Suite, a set of services for deploying Dell EMC hardware—servers, storage, data protection, and networking infrastructure— across the data center—and across data centers worldwide. This unification can help companies reduce time, cost, and complexity when deploying Dell EMC. ProDeploy Suite is offered in three options: basic deployment, ProDeploy, and ProDeploy Plus.
AMD Announces Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Edition 18.Q1
AMD has released the latest version of its Radeon Pro software enterprise edition, version 18.Q1. The new version is said to bring significant performance improvements, enhanced security, and stability to applications such as Autodesk 3ds Max and Siemens NX. Other benefits include:
- Supercharged enterprise workstation performance: Introduces significant year-over-year performance improvements in some of the leading ISV applications for enterprise professionals, including Autodesk 3ds Max (47 percent), Siemens NX (25 percent), Autodesk Maya (13 percent) and CATIA (5 percent).
- Enhanced features for professional and VDI workflows: Builds upon the innovations introduced in previous enterprise driver releases, with feature updates including:
- Radeon Pro ReLive now features borderless region capture for windowed mode recording of professional applications, in addition to MxGPU now enables Citrix XenServer support for VDI and virtualization deployments with updated technical preview support for Citrix XenServer 7.3 and production support for XenDesktop and XenApp.
- Radeon Pro Software’s “Driver Options” feature now allows users to swap from Radeon Pro Software to the latest Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition for Radeon Pro 18.2.1 driver, helping to accelerate game design workflows.
- The open-source KVM Host OS Driver: Available on GitHub, the open-source Virtualized KVM Host OS Driver for enterprises and cloud service providers allows users to tailor their Guest Interface Manager (GIM) to their production environment, continuing AMD’s longstanding commitment to open-source solutions.
- Advanced security, 24/7: Enterprise Edition works in tandem with Windows Defender Device Guard when using Windows 10 Enterprise edition to help thwart malicious attacks, and when combined with the AMD Secure Processor found in “Vega” technology-based Radeon Pro GPUs, performs boot and firmware validation. During shutdown, Radeon Pro Software continues to help secure graphics bound IP.
- Simplicity of deployment: Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Edition’s commitment to quarterly driver releases ensures that enterprise professionals and IT admins can seamlessly plan their deployments ahead of time. AMD has scheduled each Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Edition driver to be released on the 2nd Wednesday of the 2nd month of each quarter.
Apricorn Releases 12TB Padlock DT
Apricorn announced that it has released a new Aegis Padlock DT FIPS-USB 3.0 desktop drive, this one going in capacity up to 12TB. As with the other Padlock Desktop drives, the new drive comes with on-the-fly 100% hardware-based encryption, software-free setup, and cross-platform compatibility. The drive is available now for $900.
IBM & SpaceBelt Collaborate On Cloud Storage In Space
SpaceBelt, a network for space-based secure data at low earth orbit, is working with IBM on Cloud Storage in space. The two companies released a white paper on how moving assets to space will make them even more secure. Key points include:
- Working Towards a More Secure Future in Data: An integrated and layered approach to accessing and storing data allows security to move beyond just on-premises or cloud solutions to highly secured data in space.
- SpaceBelt – Securing Data in Low Earth Orbit: A LEO global network provides increased security and independence from jurisdictional control, eliminating the need for terrestrial hops and their inherent data breach vulnerability.
- IBM as a Foundation for the Most Secure Data: IBM’s Managed Security Services secure sensitive data across a full range of environments. The addition of a space-based layer beyond cloud will form the foundation for a more secure data future.
The white paper can be found here.