April 11th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
Pure Storage Announces FlashArray//X All-NVMe Flash Array
Today Pure Storage announced its first all-NVMe, enterprise-class all-flash array, the FlashArray//X. This new array is built on proven FlashArray architecture. According to Pure, the FlashArray//X enables true global flash management with new Purity DirectFlash software and NVMe DirectFlash Modules from Pure Storage, which eliminate performance bottlenecks associated with legacy technologies. This new technology will give customers a dramatic improvement in performance.
Data is exploding with over 90% of all data created in the last few years. Though estimates vary, some analysts predict that humans will be generate 180 zettabytes of data, a year, by 2025. Storing this massive amount of data is one issue, but gaining any insights from it is another altogether. Pure attempts to address this second issue with its new FlashArray//X.
New innovations for end-to-end NVMe optimization include:
- DirectFlash Software. A new software module within the Purity Operating Environment, DirectFlash implements global flash management (garbage collection, allocation, I/O optimization, error correction) at the system level that otherwise typically runs inside each SSD, delivering higher performance and better flash utilization.
- DirectFlash Modules. Connected to the FlashArray controllers via NVMe, DirectFlash Modules work with the DirectFlash Software to enable direct software-to-raw flash communication. DirectFlash Modules make 100 percent of the flash within a module accessible to the FlashArray, and will be available in 2.2, 9.1, and 18.3 TB raw capacities. The 18.3TB DirectFlash Module will enable FlashArray//X to deliver more than 1PB of effective storage within a 3U base chassis.
- //X70 Controllers. New //X70 controllers enable NVMe communication within the FlashArray’s existing midplane and chassis, which take advantage of Pure’s foresight to pre-wire the FlashArray chassis for both SAS and NVMe when it was first introduced in 2015.
Pure states that its new end-to-end, software-to-raw flash optimization reduces latency by up to 50% while doubling write bandwidth and quadrupling performance density. Users can use the FlashArray//m for general-purpose consolidation. Pure expanding its FlashArray family with the //X that they say will offer maximum consolidation power per rack unit. On top of this Pure still offers its Evergreen Storage program, 99.9999% availability, and rich data services
FlashArray//X70 key specifications:
- Form Factor: 3U
- Raw Capacity: 22–366TB
- Effective Capacity: Up to 1.05PB
- 16Gb/s Fibre Channel
- 10/40Gb/s Ethernet iSCSI
- 1/10Gb/s Replication ports
- 1Gb/s Management port
- Dimensions: 5.12” x 18.94” x 29.72”
- Weight: 97lbs loaded
FlashArray//X with both 2.2 and 9.1 TB DirectFlash Modules is available to order now. Shipments as a Directed Availability release are expected to start in early 2018 and will be fully supported for production use. General Availability of FlashArray//X, which will support both 18.3TB DirectFlash Modules and upgrades from existing FlashArray//M systems, is expected in the second half of 2018.