October 30th, 2017 by Lyle Smith
QNAP QTS 4.3.4 Beta Now Available
QNAP Systems has announced the release of QTS 4.3.4 Beta for ARM-based QNAP NAS devices. In this new update, QNAP devices featuring AnnapurnaLabs processors with as low as 1GB of RAM can support snapshots making system protection more accessible for entry-level models. Moreover, users can now set snapshot reservation space so they can ensure that it has adequate dedicated space for saving snapshots.
The theme given by QNAP for the latest version of QTS is "essence of storage.” This consists of major features and improvements such as: the brand-new Storage & Snapshots Manager, global SSD cache technology, the ability for File Station to browse snapshot content and to directly access files on mobile phones, comprehensive file management solutions, GPU-accelerated computing, support for 360-degree photos and videos, multi-zone multimedia control, VLC media player streaming, and much more.
QNAP indicates the following other new apps and features in QTS 4.3.4:
- Brand-new Storage & Snapshots Manager: Emphasizes the parallel importance of storage management and snapshot protection with a more comprehensive and intuitive UI design. Volume and LUN types are easily identified; all the snapshot versions and the time of your latest snapshots are precisely recorded.
- Snapshots for ARM-based NAS: Block-based snapshots provide a fast and easy data backup and recovery solution to protect from data loss and potential malware attacks. QNAP’s ARM-based NAS now feature higher cost-efficiency.
- Snapshot Shared Folder: Contains only one shared folder on a single volume to reduce the time of recovering single folders to within a few seconds.
- Global SSD acceleration technology: Shares a single SSD volume/RAID with all volumes/iSCSI LUNs for a read-only or read-write cache to flexibly balance efficiency and capacity needs.
- RAID 50/60: Helps strike a balance between capacity, protection, and performance for high-capacity NAS with over 6 disk bays.
- Intelligent Qtier 2.0 auto-tiering: Qtier can be configured at any time; adds IO Aware capabilities for SSD tiered storage to keep a cache-like reserved space to handle burst I/O in real time.
- File Station supports USB direct access to mobile devices: Connect mobile devices to the NAS to start storing, managing, and sharing mobile media in File Station. The content of snapshots can also be directly browsed in File Station.
- Total solution for managing digital files: OCR Converter extracts text from images; Qsync enables cross-device file sync for optimal teamwork; Qsirch facilitates full-text file search; and Qfiling automates file organization. From data storage, management, digitalization, sync, search and archiving, QNAP empowers value-added file management workflows.
- GPU-accelerated computing with PCIe graphics cards: Graphics cards help improve the image processing efficiency of QTS; users can leverage the HDMI port on the graphics card for displaying HD Station or Linux Station; GPU Passthrough strengthens the abilities of virtual machines in Virtualization Station.
- Hybrid Backup Sync official release: Consolidates backup, restoration and synchronization, making transferring data to local, remote and cloud storage spaces much easier.
- Qboost: A NAS optimization tool that helps monitor memory resources, free up system resources, and schedule applications to boost productivity.
- 360-degree photos and videos support: File Station, Photo Station and Video Station supports displaying 360-degree photos and videos; Qfile, Qphoto and Qvideo also support 360-degree format viewing.
- Media streaming to VLC Player: Users can install QVHelper on their computer to stream multimedia files from a QNAP NAS to VLC player.
- Cinema28 multi-zone multimedia control: Centrally manage media files on the NAS for streaming to connected devices via HDMI, USB, Bluetooth®, DLNA®, Apple TV®, Chromecast, and more.
- IoT on a private cloud: QButton customizes the actions of buttons of QNAP remote control (RM-IR004) for playing music playlists, viewing a surveillance channel, or restarting/powering-off the NAS. QIoT Suite Lite provides practical IoT development modules to accelerate implementation and stores IoT data on QNAP NAS. IFTTT Agent allows for creating NAS applets to connect various internet-connected devices/services for simple-but-powerful cross-app workflows.
The QTS 4.3.4 beta is now available for download and supports the following ARM-based NAS models: TS-1635, TS-831X, TS-531X, TS-431X, TS-431X2, TS-1231XU, TS-1231XU-RP, TS-831XU, TS-831XU-RP, TS-431XU, TS-431XU-RP, TS-431XeU, TS-431U, TS-131, TS-231, TS-431, TS-231+, TS-431+, TS-431P2, TS-231P2, TS-431P, TS-231P, TS-131P.
QNAP indicates the availability of QTS 4.3.4 for x86-based NAS models will be announced at a later date.