April 24th, 2019 by Lyle Smith
QNAP Releases Next-Gen TDS-16489U R2 NAS
QNAP has released their next-gen TDS-16489U R2 NAS featuring dual Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 processors and a dual OS system. It also comes equipped with ZFS-based QES, giving users a solution for enterprise-level, efficient and reliable storage for mission-critical tasks and the ability to install QTS for virtual machine applications, diverse applications and auto-tiered storage.
The TDS-16489U R2 is highlighted by the following specifications:
- Two processors (with Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 8-core CPU and Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4 10-core CPU configurations), three independent SAS 12Gb/s controllers, and up to 1 TB quad-channel DDR4 2133MHz RDIMM/LRDIMM RAM (16 DIMM)
- Four 10GbE SFP+ ports fulfill bandwidth-demanding applications such as virtualization, large file sharing, and fast backup/restoration
- Four PCIe Gen3 slots to allow flexible expansion for 40GbE/25GbE/10GbE NICs, graphics cards, QM2 cards, 12Gb/s SAS HBA, or Fibre Channel adapters (FC support available from QES 2.2.0 and QTS 4.4.1)
- An extra four 2.5-inch drive trays at the rear to provide SSD caching, supports IPMI that facilitates remote IT manageability, and features redundant 770-watt power supplies to ensure system reliability
The TDS-16489U R2 comes preinstalled with QES and supports numerous ZFS-based data protection and restoration features, such as:
- end-to-end checksums to detect and correct silent data corruption;
- near-unlimited snapshots for iSCSI LUN and shared folders; and
- SnapSync to accelerate remote backups
SnapSync also supports VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM), which provides users with an enterprise-level remote backup and disaster recovery solution for their virtual applications. Moreover, QES supports OpenStack Cinder and Manila file sharing services for out-of-the-box enterprise cloud services.
With QTS, QNAP calls the TDS-16489U R2 an all-in-one NAS solution, as it can be used as virtualization storage and can host virtual machines and containers to operate diversified application servers. Users can efficiently implement their backup plans via Hybrid Backup Sync, volume/LUN snapshots and virtual machine backups. In addition, IOPS-demanding applications can leverage its SSD caching abilities together with the QTS software-defined SSD extra over-provisioning, allowing for optimized random write speeds and an increased SSD lifespan.
Backed by a 5-year warranty, the TDS-16489U R2 NAS is available now.