July 21st, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
QNAP Releases QTS 4.2 Beta
Today QNAP Systems Inc. released a new beta version of its operating system used on most of the company’s NAS devices, QTS 4.2. QNAP has revamped its User Interface and added many new features to QTS 4.2 to make the OS smoother, smarter, and more secure.
The new features in QTS 4.2 beta target both the home user and the business user. Aside from its revamped UI, QTS 4.2 updated its multimedia controls to include multi-zone controls (one device can stream media to different corners). Storage management has been optimized with SSD cache acceleration and comprehensive backup solutions. And 4.2 adds container virtualization allowing users to operate multiple isolated Linux systems on a QNAP NAS as well as download apps from the built-in Docker Hub Registry.
New apps and features include:
- Revamped user interface with flat design: Incorporating a flat design, the redesigned QTS reduces loading times and elevates user experiences with a translucent login window, frameless media viewer, and new recycle bin.
- Refined multimedia experience: QTS 4.2 empowers a QNAP NAS to be a multi-zone multimedia system that allows users to centrally control media streaming to different areas from a single device via HDMI, DLNA, Chromecast, Apple TV, Bluetooth and USB devices. The revamped Photo Station provides an excellent browsing experience with gallery and management modes, a handy control menu bar, and enhanced sharing mechanisms. Video Station now features online subtitle search. HD Station is now multilingual and supports multitasking with new apps including Skype, Libre Office and Plex Home Theater.
- Optimized storage management and cloud backup: Storage Manager adds a handy snapshot tool for volume/LUN backup and restoration. Several enhancements are included to improve business efficiency and performance such as SSD cache acceleration, JBOD enclosure roaming and comprehensive cloud backup solutions and more.
- Flexible hybrid approach to virtualization: QTS 4.2 introduces an industry-leading hybrid virtualization solution with Virtualization Station and Container Station. The upgraded Virtualization Station adopts software-defined networking concepts and brings greater benefits for flexible networking, cost efficiency and unlimited potential for wider application scenarios. The new Container Station exclusively integrates LXC and Docker lightweight virtualization technologies, allowing users to operate multiple isolated Linux systems on a QNAP NAS as well as downloading apps from the built-in Docker Hub Registry.
- Higher data security: Several security mechanisms are added to ensure data security including 2-step verification, shared folder encryption, instant notifications to mobile devices and VPN server with L2TP/IPsec support.
- File Station adds remote connection: Users can now directly browse and transfer files between their QNAP NAS and public cloud services such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Box, Yandex Disk and Amazon Cloud Drive; and mount shared folders from a remote NAS to a local NAS using FTP, CIFS/SMB and WebDAV. File Station now also supports Google Docs and Office files online preview and adds more sharing options to make file management flexible and easy.
- Connect & view multiple NAS with myQNAPcloud: myQNAPcloud provides a new dashboard for users to centrally manage multiple NAS, preview files with Google Docs & Office Online, and upload files by drag-and-drop to increase work efficiency. File sharing over the cloud becomes more secure with myQNAPcloud ID control and by purchasing myQNAPcloud SSL certificates.
- More apps and utilities bring productivity: Qsirch is a powerful full-text search tool that helps users to quickly find files on a QNAP NAS. Qsync adds a central configuration mode allowing users to directly manage user privileges, set up Qsync client configurations, and to apply custom/default settings to all devices at once from one device. More useful apps and utilities are available from the QTS App Center.
QTS 4.2 is available now for select QNAP NAS models. A complete list can be found through the link below