April 21st, 2016 by Tucker Mindrum
SanDisk Announces iXpand Flash Drive For iOS Devices
SanDisk has announced the release of their iXpand Flash Drive, which is designed to help with the pervasive storage shortages that iOS users often face. The iXpand drive connects directly to the lightning port of Apple's mobile devices, allowing users to quickly offload up to 128GB of content that they don't need (but want to keep) through the iXpand mobile app. There definitely seems to be a market for these products, which are becoming much more prevalent as mobile camera use continues to increase. SanDisk reports that over 70% of iOS users transfer files from their devices, most of whom would benefit from the iXpand Flash Drive.
The iXpand mobile app can be configured to automatically back up the camera roll whenever it is connected, and extracted files can be transferred to a computer or backup drive through the USB 3.0 connector. Users can watch videos that are stored on their iXpand drive through its mobile app, which might be compelling for frequent travelers. SanDisk also equipped iXpand drives with encryption software so that users can password-protect files.
The iXpand Flash Drive can connect to any iOS model that uses the Lightning port, and is compatible with most cases thanks to its flexible connector.
- Interface: Lightning and USB 2.0 connectors (one connector used at a time)
- Capacities: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB
- Mobile device compatibility: iPhone and iPad with Lightning connector and iOS 7.1 and higher
- PC/Mac computer compatibility: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS X v10.6+
- Supported video formats: wmv, avi, mkv, mp4, mov
- Li-ion battery (3.7v): Pre-charged, ready to use
- Operational temperature: 0~60°C
- Dimensions: 64.17mm x 36.78mm x 11.80mm
- Warranty: 1 year limited
SanDisk currently offers the iXpand Flash Drive in 128GB, 64GB, 32GB, and 16GB capacities, all of which can be purchased today for $49.99, $69.99, $89.99, and $129.99, respectively. Each model includes a 1-year warranty.