April 19th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Spectra Logic Unveils World’s Largest Capacity Tape Library, TFinity ExaScale
Today at the National Associations of Broadcasters (NAB) Show in Las Vegas, Spectra Logic announced the world’s largest and most richly featured tape storage system Spectra, TFinity ExaScale Edition. The TFinity ExaScale Edition is designed for organizations that have exception data growth exponential data growth, such as media and entertainment and high performance computing.
The new Spectra TFinity ExaScale Edition delivers performance, reliability and flexibility at a lower price point, for long-term data retention all with a smaller storage footprint. The high density and smaller footprint come from its highly efficient three-dimensional library design instead of slots, and TeraPack containers in place of individual cartridges. The TFinity ExaScale Edition is the first tri-media tape library compatible with LTO drives and media, TS1150 tape technology, and Oracle’s StorageTek T10000D, T10000C, T10000B and T10000A enterprise tape drive technology. This ability give customers flexibility, the ability to switch vendors, migrate data to the technology of their choice all at the lowest price per GB.
If an organization generates massive amounts of data and needs to store it long-term, something like the TFinity ExaScale Edition would be an ideal choice of storage. An organization such as The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the agency of the United States Federal Government responsible for the civilian space program as well as aeronautics and aerospace research, fits this bill perfectly. Spectra Logic has been working with NASA since 2008. According to NASA, the Spectra tape library’s capacity has grown to approximately one half an Exabyte of archival storage today. After extensive testing over the past year, NASA recently deployed a Spectra TFinity ExaScale Edition in their 24x7 production HPC environment.
TFinity ExaScale Edition has its own unique feature set including:
- Rational Robotics
- High Performance Transporter
- Improved TeraPorter
- Dual Robot operations
- New parallel AC power input
- Tri-media capable – Exclusive to Spectra Logic, the tri-media feature allows migration or integration of existing T10000D media and drives. To read more, click here
- Cold Storage – Debuting with TFinity ExaScale Edition, groups can now vault infrequently accessed tapes inside the library so they become “invisible” to the application, reducing costs and allowing easy retrieval. To read more about this unique feature, click here
- An Exabyte of capacity in a single footprint storage system with current media technology
- Optional custom skins for personalization
- Spectra’s BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway enabled
- Highest cartridge exchange performance roadmap of any tape library system
- Most floor space efficient footprint of any tape library
- Most flexible service offerings, world-wide
Current TFinity customers will be able to upgrade in order to take advantage of some of the new features offered with TFinity ExaScale Edition.
TFinity ExaScale Edition also works with Spectra Logic’s BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway. With BlackPearl customers have an object storage interface to the tape storage in their TFinity ExaScale Edition. BlackPearl will make migration and expansion easier further highlighting the benefits of the new TFinity.