July 5th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
StorMagic Launches SvSAN 6
Today StorMagic announced the launch of the latest version of its SvSAN software-defined storage solution, SvSAN 6. StorMagic announced that for the first time it is releasing two versions: a Standard and Advanced Edition. And the company is also announcing global availability since it has become a Preferred Solution Partner within the Cisco Solutions Partner Program and via the company’s OEM agreement with Cisco.
As we previously wrote, SvSAN ensures high availability through a virtualized shared storage platform by leveraging the existing server storage and presenting it as a virtual SAN. SvSAN is aimed at any customers running business critical applications at the edge. StorMagic takes this farther by stating that version 6 is the “most affordable” method for organizations with a lean IT environment to take advantage of the very latest hyper-converged infrastructure. This new version enables ROBO sites and small businesses to take advantage of advanced storage caching features even if they have a more modest IT budget.
According to Enterprise Strategy Group IT managers deploying a centralized IT strategy still see slow transfer speeds and poor application performance at remote locations, though the percentage that sees this slower performance is on the lower end of the scale. StorMagic claims that users can see a significant gain in performance and a reduction in power consumption using SvSAN 6. SvSAN 6 can achieve the performance gains and reduced power consumption by automatically leveraging the internal memory, SSD and SATA/SAS storage tiers of two industry standard servers.
Key features of SvSAN include:
- Synchronous mirroring to protect data in real time
- High availability to guarantee service uptime and VSA restore
- Rapid data recovery in the event of a hardware failure
- Stretched clusters to increase service resiliency within geographically distributed SvSAN VSA nodes
- Rapid recovery and target migration to ensure transparent movement of targets between available SvSAN resources
- Storage pooling to improve storage utilization and categorization
- Simplified storage administration capabilities with centralized monitoring and management software
StorMagic SvSAN version 6 is expected to ship in the third quarter of 2016 through StorMagic’s Preferred Partner Network and via the company’s global OEM agreement with Cisco.