June 8th, 2016 by Lyle Smith
SUSE Announces Enterprise Storage 3 and a New HPE Scalable Object Storage Solution
SUSE has announced the availability of Enterprise Storage 3, the company’s self-managing, self-healing, distributed software-based storage solution. Last updated in November of 2015, Enterprise Storage 3 helps customers adapt to the ongoing transformation of business and data demands through accelerated IT innovation.
The latest version 3 is the first commercially supported solution based on the Jewel release of the Ceph open source project. As a result, this helps to ensure that customers are top priority when it comes to support and offers seamless access to the advancing Ceph community innovation.
SUSE indicates that early access to Enterprise Storage 3 includes the following new Ceph features:
- POSIX compliant Ceph filesystem (CephFS) adds native filesystem access, so customers now have unified block, object and file access in their SUSE Enterprise Storage cluster.
- Multisite object replication provides asynchronous active/active multi-cluster environment to ensure replication at distance for improved disaster recovery, along with truly long-distance replication for block using asynchronous block (RDB) mirroring.
- A new framework to simplify management by providing the foundation for an advanced graphical user interface management tool (using openATTIC), as well as orchestration of the cluster using Salt.
SUSE also unveiled that they are partnering with Hewlett Packard Enterprise to deliver an HPE Scalable Object Storage Solution with SUSE Enterprise Storage. For customers who have adopted open source technology, this will allow them to effectively manage data storage problems at massive scale. In addition, this solution will be supported on HPE general-purpose ProLiant servers and HPE storage-optimized Apollo and Cloudline servers.
The HPE Scalable Object Storage Solution with SUSE Enterprise Storage offers users both a fully supported and validated software-defined enterprise storage solution; all of which is scalable and cost effective. Moreover, it helps customers to lower their TCO at a petabyte scale when developing cloud and archival storage systems. The newly formed HPE/SUSE solution is also is deployable on HPE servers, including general-purpose rackmounts and servers optimized for storage.
In order to satisfy a variety of use cases, the HPE and SUSE storage solution is available on three hardware platforms:
- HPE Apollo 4000: a high-density server family built for the highest levels of storage performance and efficiency
- HPE ProLiant DL380: a modern infrastructure with a comprehensive portfolio of versatile compute offerings
- HPE Cloudline CL5200: a new server portfolio tailored to service providers building and operating massively scaled data centers following Open Compute Platform standards.
The HPE/SUSE solution is also integrated and certified to work with HPE Data Protector.