March 18th, 2012 by Lyle Smith
Symantec NetBackup 7.5 and Backup Exec 2012 Global Availability Announced
Symantec Corp. has announced that Symantec NetBackup 7.5 and Backup Exec 2012 are now available worldwide designed to help businesses of all sizes seamlessly transform and modernize their outdated, complex, and resource-intensive backup strategy. Additionally, Symantec has also announced a partnership with NetApp to resell the new NetBackup Replication Director option, enabling customers to unify Snapshot and replication management within NetBackup as well as to remove the cost and risk associated with multiple backup and recovery tools. Replication Director gives businesses the ability to reduce management costs and complexity by recovering and managing backup and replicated snapshots from a single NetBackup management console.
With Backup Exec 2012 and NetBackup 7.5, Symantec provides customers and partners with a set of best-in-breed solutions that eliminate the problems of traditional backup methods in the past such as complexity, time, and resources required to manage the backup process as well as the need for multiple point products to ensure a successful backup and recovery process.
A recent Symantec worldwide survey of 1,400 IT professionals revealed a need for a newer and faster approach to backup, with 28 percent stating that they have an over abundance of backup tools and 72 percent citing that they would switch backup products if their speed doubled.
- NetBackup 7.5 increases backup speeds up to 100 times, improves the ability to recover and makes it possible to integrate NetApp Snapshots with backup. Additionally, it simplifies the search and recovery of files for legal holds.
- Backup Exec 2012 has revolutionized its management console, setting a new standard for intuitive design, reduced complexity across physical and virtual environments, and highly comprehensive disaster recovery.
- With NetApp set to resell NetBackup Replication Director, it will enable IT administrators to centralize the management of NetBackup and NetApp Snapshots and replication (SnapVault and SnapMirror) for faster backup and recovery. The partnership enables NetApp and Symantec to provide customers with a powerful combination of features and benefits delivered by these two technology leaders.
- Backup Exec 2012 is also VMware Ready Data Protection certified for vSphere 5.0. This certification includes support for new features in vSphere 5.0 including the Hardware Version 8 format of virtual machines, datastore clusters, vSphere Storage DRS, and Storage vMotion.
- Symantec offers numerous delivery models including software, appliance and cloud solutions to seamlessly integrate into any IT infrastructure. In addition to integration with Nirvanix, NetBackup now supports cloud storage from AT&T, Amazon Web Services and Rackspace. The new Backup Exec Cloud DR Option powered by Doyenz, the leading recovery as a service provider – is expected to be available in the first half of FY13 and enable cloud-based application recovery in less than 15 minutes. Symantec’s Backup Exec also includes backup to the cloud through Nirvanix.
- Symantec's SaaS-based backup and recovery service Backup Exec.cloud is also available in the United States, Canada and Europe for purchase directly from Symantec partners or direct from Symantec.
- Symantec’s breadth of backup products helps customers realize significant cost savings while better protecting their business information. Symantec is committed to driving out 80 percent of the operating costs associated with backup over the next five years.