September 23rd, 2014 by Lyle Smith
Synology DiskStation Manager 5.1 Now in Beta
Synology has unveiled the beta release of DiskStation Manager (DSM) 5.1, the latest version of its operating system for NAS servers. DSM 5.1 beta gives users the opportunity to try the latest of DSM, which provides feature-rich backup and security tools, increased productivity, media functionality, and management.
Updates to DSM 5.1 include:
- Increased productivity through integrated private Cloud:
- Cloud Station now supports synchronizing data in encrypted folders to protect privacy, and Windows ACL for more precise user privileges’ settings.
- File versioning can now be disabled to save storage space.
- Cloud Sync enhancements extends coverage to six public cloud services: Dropbox, Google Drive, Baidu Cloud, and the newly-added OneDrive, Box and hubiC; broaden sharing possibilities.
- More efficient with QuickConnect:
- Proxy Server improves Internet browsing speeds while securing the network due to its various caching, filtering, and authentication options.
- File Station can now connect to a remote FTP or WebDAV server and its new email client provides a quicker alternative for file sharing.
- IPv6 support has been expanded to QuickConnect as well as more DSM services. NFS VAAI support brings new virtualization options such as File Clone and Reserve Space.
- SSD caching technologies are more intuitive with a revamped interface, a real-time hit rate statistics to evaluate the utilization, and a recommendation on appropriate SSD cache size.
- Enhancing Data Safety with backup and security tools:
- LUN snapshot is now schedulable and LUN backup performance is 169% faster through the network.
- Effective data protection with vigorous backup and security options minimizes the impact in case of any system vulnerability.
- The new Security Advisor scans the system and detects potential vulnerabilities, such as weak passwords, malware, misconfigured services, and pending updates.
- AppArmor offers Kernel-level modifications; enforce stricter permission rules on applications and restricts what system resources can be accessed by individual applications.
- Sharing tools:
- Flexible collaboration tools for media and communication a public link disseminates your pictures, music or video collections.
- Mobile apps have been tweaked; from quick search to improved integration or new design and continues to support all three major platforms (iOS, Android, and Windows Phone).
- The smart search feature and revamped folder page increase usability and efficiency.
- DS Note allows you to create, share, and sync thousands of digital notes and notebooks and contacts with DSM 5.1.
Users can download Synology DSM 5.1 beta free for those who own a DiskStation or RackStation x11 series and onward. Supported models include:
- 15-series: DS415play, DS115j, DS415+
- 14-series: DS214, RS214, DS414, DS114, DS214play, DS214+, DS214se, RS3614xs+, RS2414+, RS2414RP+, RS814, DS214se, RS814+, RS814RP+, DS414j, RS3614xs, RS3614RPxs, DS414slim, EDS14
- 13-series: RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, DS413, DS413j, DS213+, DS213, DS213air, DS213j
- 12-series: RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, RS812, RS212, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+, DS212+, DS212, DS212j, DS112+, DS112, DS112j
- 11-series: RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, RS411, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS411, DS411j, DS411slim, DS211+, DS211, DS211j, DS111