October 6th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
Synology Releases DiskStation Manager 6.2 Beta
Synology Inc. announced the beta of a major update to its operating system, DiskStation Manager (DSM) 6.2 Beta. Synology is also releasing several packages along with the new OS. The company is inviting its users to get actively involved in the Synology community to help in the development process.
Synology’s DSM has been fairly popular with users for some time now (for an in-depth look into it once it passed the 6.0 threshold, checkout out our review here). DSM has always been intuitive and user friendly. The same OS stretches from home user to larger enterprise use making for an easy learning curve. The latest update features many improvements including advanced LUN, iSCSI Manager, and Storage Manager.
Key new features in DSM 6.2 include:
- Storage Manager: a new storage component, Storage Pool, is introduced to provide a highly consistent and smooth storage management experience, a new dashboard-like overview comes with rich and useful information. With smart data scrubbing, users are given an easier way to prevent bit rot without sweat.
- iSCSI Manager: a revamped, dedicated management tool for iSCSI service, providing a new LUN type with the refined snapshot technology based on Btrfs file system that enables snapshots to be taken within seconds regardless of LUN size.
- Synology High Availability: New mechanisms allow SHA to be set up and run within 10 minutes, providing a refined user experience. With its built-in and improved monitoring tools, IT admins can easily monitor the active and passive server and perform maintenance.
- Security Advisor: Security Advisor uses intelligent techniques to dissect the abnormal login and analyze the attacker's location. DSM will send notifications when having detected any unusual login activities. With a simple click, IT admins can review a daily or monthly report on DSM system security scan.
- TLS/SSL Profile Level: TLS/SSL Profile Level Chooser provides each network services to have its own TLS/SSL connection profile. It gives users a more flexible way to configure the network security environment.
- Chat and Calendar: Chat welcomes the long-awaited desktop application on Windows, MacOS and Linux, and features including poll, bots, threaded message, and third-party video conference integration. Calendar now allows users to attach files to events to centralize all the relevant information, and comes with week numbering and keyboard shortcuts to view the calendars with ease.
Synology DSM 6.2 Beta is free to download for users who own a DiskStation, RackStation, and FlashStation.