January 22nd, 2019 by Adam Armstrong
Veeam Announced Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 Update 4
Today Veeam Software announced the general availability for its Veeam Availability Suite 9.5, Update 4. Veeam also made announcements around its upcoming Veeam Availability for AWS and Veeam Availability Console v3. According to the company these new cloud data management capabilities will deliver cost effective data retention, easy cloud migration and data mobility, cloud-native backup and protection for Amazon Web Services (AWS), portable cloud-ready licensing, increased security and data governance, and solutions to make it easier than ever for service providers to deliver Veeam-powered services to market.
Veeam was made for backup and data management of highly virtualized environments and as more and more data and applications are migrated to the cloud, Veeam has added focus there as well. The cloud doesn’t just represent a new market ripe for the plucking for Veeam, it comes with a myriad of concerns: managing workloads in multi-cloud environments, migrating data to the cloud, HA in the cloud, and cloud backup and recovery. The release today continues Veeam aim to address issues as they arise.
Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 Update 4 includes the following capabilities:
- Cloud Tier: Provides unlimited capacity for long term data retention by using native, cost-effective object storage integrations with Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), Azure Blob Storage, IBM Cloud Object Storage, as well as Amazon S3-compatible service providers and on-premises storage solutions. With Veeam, customers avoid double charges for storing data in the cloud – unlike with other backup providers who impose “cloud tax” on top of the cloud provider’s storage cost.
- Cloud Mobility: Businesses can easily migrate, move and recover any on-premises or cloud-based workloads to AWS, Azure and Azure Stack in just two steps to maintain business continuity and availability, increase agility and optimize cost across hybrid cloud environments.
- Enhanced Veeam DataLabs: Businesses will have increased security and data governance options including GDPR readiness and malware prevention with DataLabs Staged and Secure restore.
- Intelligent Diagnostics: Companies can reduce management and support costs through proactive resolution of configuration problems.
- Enhanced Veeam Cloud Connect Replication for Service Providers (VCC-R): Service providers using VMware vCloud Director can leverage existing networking, infrastructure and self-service management investments for Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) solutions for lower TCO and higher margins.
Part of migrating to the public cloud, or leveraging one in general, is dealing with the larger public cloud vendors. Noting this, Veeam has a new solution that combines Veeam N2WS cloud-native backup and recovery of AWS workloads with the ability to consolidate the backup data in a central Veeam repository, Veeam Availability for AWS. Veeam states that this new solution enables customers to reliably move data to and manage across multi-cloud environments while mitigating the risk of losing access to cloud applications. It also ensures protection of AWS data against accidental deletion, loss of AWS account access, data-level security threats and outages.
Other benefits include:
- Cloud-native, Agentless Data Protection: With this feature, customers have purpose-built data protection for AWS using AWS snapshots and allowing for instant recovery.
- Cloud Mobility and Cost Savings: By decoupling backups from the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) infrastructure and storing data in a low-cost format inside Amazon S3 object storage or in an on-premises backup repository, customers will achieve advanced cost savings and the data separation required by the 3-2-1 rule of backup.
- Powerful, Reliable Recovery Technologies: Customers can achieve industry leading RTOs by leveraging proven Instant Recovery, DR to an on-premises data center, and restore to the cloud.
Veeam has released the latest version of its free web-based management platform for Veeam-powered services, Veeam Availability Console v3.
New benefits and capabilities include:
- Reseller Tier: Cloud service providers (CSPs), managed service providers (MSPs) and resell channel partners (VARs) can collaborate to deliver more value to joint customers by leveraging three-tier (SP – VAR – customer) capabilities including a partner-branded portal, customer setup features, monitoring capabilities – all with the best-fit level of access for their role.
- Scale-out Architecture: Service providers will experience unprecedented levels of scalability to support multiple Veeam Cloud Connect (VCC) installations, more customers and more devices – all leading to increased revenue streams.
- Enhanced License Management and Usage Reporting: Partners can more easily go-to-market with Veeam-powered services by aggregating management and reporting across Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam Cloud Connect and Veeam Agent installations.
- Expanded RESTful API support: Providers can increase efficiencies with the addition of several new RESTful APIs, enabling integration with even more home-grown or third-party systems.