September 20th, 2016 by Lyle Smith
Virtual Instruments Announces VirtualWisdom5
Virtual Instruments has announced the release of VirtualWisdom5 and the company’s new VirtualWisdom NAS Performance Probe. VirtualWisdom5 is touted as the industry’s only vendor-independent cross-domain infrastructure performance monitoring and analytics solution that offers visibility into both SAN and NAS environments. It also provides seamless access to real-time wire data and actionable analytics, which helps to ensure performance and availability for mission-critical applications in physical, virtual and cloud environments. The last major update was released back in April of this year with VirtualWisdom 4.4.
Virtual Instruments indicates the following new enhancements and features with VirtualWisdom5:
- Support for the new NAS Performance Probe for NFSv3 environments.
- Enhancements to the user interface for an improved look and feel, including a dark theme for easier viewing and side bar navigation that takes advantage of widescreen resolution.
- Enhancements to the Seasonal Trend analytic that builds upon the VirtualWisdom 4.4 capability to analyze business behavior of any application workload and detect deviations from normal. In 5.0 customers can now alert to deviations from normal behavior for every application workload, physical or virtual server, network switch, or storage array.
- A new workload analytic that enables the capture of production workload behavior. Through integration with Load DynamiX Enterprise, it creates workload models that can be used to test, load and validate proposed storage environments and changes in the lab.
- Greater than 10X speedup in SAN fabric discovery; scalable to very large fabrics with tens of thousands of active ports.
VirtualWisdom5 provides a deep domain experience on all platforms and applications, which allows for proactive management of performance challenges with visibility spanning from the virtual machine to the file system and LUN.
In addition, the following are the key features of the company’s new NAS Performance Probe:
- Simultaneous monitoring of up to 16 ports, packaged in a 2RU chassis
- Full-duplex monitoring at 10Gb Ethernet line rate with optical connectivity
- Support for NFS v3 environments, followed by SMB3 support in Q1 2017
- Support for real-time monitoring of all NAS vendor products supporting NFSv3
- Support for link aggregation
The VirtualWisdom NAS Performance Probe is a line-rate NFS monitoring device, which offers real-time analysis of wire data and correlation across compute, network and storage with a significant amount of granularity. Moreover, VirtualWisdom5 combines agentless collection of physical and virtual machine data with wire data from “purpose-built, out-of-band hardware probes”. Virtual Instruments adds that it collects, correlates and analyzes a comprehensive depth of data, allowing enterprises to anticipate issues and avoid them all the while leveraging their critical infrastructure assets.
Virtual Instruments will be demonstrating VirtualWisdom5 and the NAS Performance Probe at the upcoming NetApp Insight conference in Las Vegas from September 26 to 29.