August 5th, 2019 by Adam Armstrong
Western Digital Announces Two New Ultrastar Storage Server Platforms
Today at FMS 2019, Western Digital announced two new server platforms, the Ultrastar Serv24-4N four-node NVMe all-flash, and the Ultrastar Serv24+6 hybrid storage server platforms. The company builds off of its proven track record to provide customer with these new building blocks for high-performance, data-intensive software-defined storage (SDS), hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI), and edge environments.
Data is growing and will continue to do so. There is no end in sight. Organizations can’t just keep buying storage to throw the data on, as the data itself is becoming ever more valuable. Organizations need to be able to store, protect, and most importantly, access the data at scale. Technologies such as SDS and HCI have helped as they can lower costs and are scalable. Seeing the need, Western Digital has expanded its Ultrastar Serv platforms to address the issues above. They also support several other use cases such as remote office/branch offices (ROBO), virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), edge/IoT and video surveillance environments, test/development environments, and to facilitate data backup and disaster recovery (DR).
For high-performance HCI needs, the company is rolling out the Ultrastar Serv24-4N. This four-node all NVMe storage server works well for data-intensive applications that need fast storage. Key highlights include:
- Features four server nodes with each having dual CPUs with full, 24 PCIe lanes to six SSDs, extracting the full performance potential of NVMe.
- Includes Intel Xeon Scalable Processor CPUs and chipset. Core count and power can be selected to match data workloads and meet data center efficiency requirements.
- Maximizes networking performance with three x16 PCIe slots per node.
- Delivers high availability and enterprise-class reliability with capacities up to 184TB raw.
Those that need high density will find benefits in the Ultrastar Serv24+6. This 2U storage server id designed around high density and is also for data-intensive applications. Ideal use cases include file services, media streaming, video surveillance, IoT data gathering, backup and archive, and big data analytics. Key highlights include:
- Maximizes capacity density with an innovative solution, providing 24 HDD bays in just 2U with the option of four additional HDD bays in the rear for a maximum capacity of up to 420TB raw.
- Offers a choice of the latest high-performance Intel Xeon Scalable Processors, allowing customers to match processing capability to their workloads and power budget.
- Provides the flexibility to choose SAS or SATA HDDs to balance application performance and cost requirements.
- Delivers hybrid support with up to six NVMe SSDs in the rear bays for a data-acceleration tier to improve application performance.
Both the Ultrastar Serv24-4N and Ultrastar Serv24+6 storage servers come with a five-year limited warranty. The Ultrastar Serv24-4N will be available this quarter in multiple configurations through the company’s worldwide network of distribution and channel partners. The Ultrastar Serv24+6 is sampling now and will be available in volume by September.