April 18th, 2016 by Lyle Smith
HP Announces Updates To Its All-in-one HP Z1 G3 Workstation
HP has announced updates to their new all-in-one HP Z1 G3 Workstation, which boasts the performance normally found only in traditional tower workstations. Now equipped with a smaller, thinner and lighter build, the third generation HP Z1 Workstation is specifically designed for users in demanding applications.
HP indicates the following features for the HP Z1 G3 Workstation:
- 47 percent smaller, 51 percent lighter and 21 percent less expensive than the previous generation.
- 23.6 inch diagonal anti-glare UHD 4K display for the outstanding visual clarity when working on graphic intensive projects.
- Intel Xeon quad-core3, 64 GB ECC memory.
- NVIDIA Quadro graphics.
- Dual PCIe HP Z Turbo Drives6 for speedy boot up, calculation, and response times for large files. Users can maximize storage by adding up to two additional 2.5" SATA SSDs or HDDs.
- Multiple ports to quickly and easily transfer data and connect devices including side access dual Thunderbolt 3 with USB 3.1, USB charging port, media card reader, DisplayPort, and more.
In addition, HP unveiled its new receiver software for Apple Mac OS X, the HP Remote Graphics Software (RGS). This software gives Mac users access to the company’s high-end HP Z Workstations. HP also adds that RGS allows engineers, animators and scientists to securely leverage the performance, as well as files and applications, on their HP Workstation; even remotely.
With HP RGS Receiver for Mac, users will experience maximum performance by multi-tasking between native Mac OS apps and super-charged Windows or Linux workstation applications via HP RGS:
- Connect seamlessly across the office or world to a Windows or Linux workstation session for joint development, interactive edits and design reviews.
- Access business-critical, high-performance 2D, 3D, video and media-rich applications.
- View graphics rich content on a single display or on multi-monitor setups.
- Connect to a fully loaded HP Z840 Workstation – it is like upgrading your Mac with up to 9x the processing cores, 30x the memory and adding professional NVIDIA Quadro graphics.
- Accomplish render time and editing of ultra-high res video content and FX at exponentially faster speeds.
Moreover, HP says that the Workstation technical and research and development teams have collaborated with partners, such as animation, special FX, product design, research facilities and universities, to help make this transition to innovative workflow optimizations.
Pricing and Availability
The HP Z1 G3 is slated for a release sometime in May starting at $1498.
The HP Remote Graphics Software is available immediately for HP Z Desktop and ZBook Mobile Workstations as a free download for existing HP Z Workstation customers. Additionally, the Mac receiver is free for HP RGS users is will be released soon. HP indicates that the RGS sender licenses are available for purchase in supported, non-HP hardware use cases as well.