May 6th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Dell Announces New Offerings For Datacenters
Today Dell Inc. announced several storage offerings aimed at helping businesses cost-effectively adapt and scale their data centers to keep pace with increasing IT demands. Dell address both current and future methods of dealing with the massive growth of data with new entry-level array series, Dell Storage SCv2000 Series, higher performing dense storage arrays, Dell Storage PS6610 Series, and enhanced software capabilities and new SDS appliances, Dell Storage with Microsoft Storage Spaces.
Dell Storage SCv2000 Series
The Dell Storage SCv2000 Series is a customer-inspired series of entry-level storage arrays that offer same common management and several of the core features as higher-end Dell SC Series arrays, such as the SC4020. According to Dell, the SCv2000 Series offers the “best performance and protection in its class with integrated data protection to support specialized projects, database and test environments, or simple storage consolidation.” The new arrays enable customers to standardize on a common platform, saving time and money. The SCv2000 Series comes in three models with expansion options: the SCv2000, SCv2020, and SCv2080
- High performance at an affordable price - The arrays deliver best-in-class performance in a single, affordable 2U enclosure. Feature-rich options include proven data protection features, RAID tiering to optimize capacity, thin provisioning, flash support, data-migration services, and multi-protocol connectivity. Granular data protection allows up to 2,000 snapshots and 500 replications.
- Integrated data protection- Remote Instant Replay, Local Instant Replays and Replay Manager along with RAID tiering that optimizes SAN capacity. Tight integration with common application environments, such as Microsoft and VMware, help to simplify virtualized data centers, allowing local and remote data protection features to take consistent snapshots of virtual machines without sacrificing performance.
- Future flexibility with Storage Center – Customers can gain more value from existing investments with data migration to higher-tier Dell Storage SC4000 and SC8000 Series arrays. The SCv2000 Series supports today’s needs and future growth as the arrays can be managed with the same, single user interface as other SC Series arrays. Customers can scale capacity when needed with the benefit of no capacity licensing and choose from a broad range of hard drives and SSDs, configured for a variety of applications.
SCv2000 Series specifications:
- Models: SCv2000 | SCv2020 | SCv2080
- Internal Storage: 12 x 3.5” drive bays | 24 x 2.5” drive bays | 84 x 2.5” or 3.5” drive bays
- Supported expansion enclosures:
- SC100: 12 x 3.5” or 2.5” drive bays | SC120: 24 x 2.5” drive bays | SC180: 84 x 2.5” or 3.5” drive bays
- SC100: 12 x 3.5” or 2.5” drive bays | SC120: 24 x 2.5” drive bays
- Maximum drive count:
- 168 (12 internal, plus 156 external) |168 (24 internal, plus 144 external) | 168 (84 internal, plus 84 external)
- Total storage capacity: 504TB
- Supported drive types:
- HDD: 7.2K RPM | 15K, 10K, 7.2K RPM | 10K, 7.2K RPM
- SSD: write-intensive, read- intensive (different drive types, transfer rates and rotational speeds can be mixed in the same system)
- Controllers: Single or dual controllers | Single or dual controllers | Dual controllers
- Processor: Intel Xeon 4-core
- Memory: 8GB per controller
- Network/server connectivity (front-end):
- 2 x 16Gb FC ports per controller
- 4 x 8Gb FC ports per controller
- 4 x 1Gb iSCSI (BASE-T) ports per controller
- 2 x 10Gb iSCSI (BASE-T) ports per controller
- 4 x 12Gb SAS ports per controller
- Internal drive connectivity (back-end): 6Gb SAS ports (2 per controller)
- Product OS: Storage Center 6.6.2
- Server OS:
- Microsoft Windows Server
- Citrix XenServer
- Red Hat
- RAID: Supports RAID 5, 6, RAID 10 and RAID 10 DM (dual mirror)
Dell Storage PS6610 Series
The Dell Storage PS6610 Series are high-performance, high-capacity arrays aimed at mid-market. These dual-controller arrays offer 3.5 times the capacity and 7 times the performance (more than 30,000 IOPS for 4K 70/30 read/write) over Dell’s previous EqualLogic PS6510 arrays. This new series of arrays offers hybrid flash and HDD configurations and are aimed at customers with large data repository requirements, that require high-performing, high-capacity and scalable storage to expand an existing EqualLogic/PS Series SAN, replace an existing storage infrastructure or deploy a new one. The new series can support up to half a Petabyte in one 5U array and has several use cases such as: ERP applications, email storage and SQL databases, and for archival storage to support large data repositories such as those required for medical records, financial data and video surveillance. The Dell Storage PS6610 Series comes in three models as well: the PS6610E, PS6610X, and PS6610ES.
Dell is also announcing Array Software 8.0, which will ship with the new Storage PS6610 Series. The new software supports virtual environments with advanced VMware vSphere Virtual Volumes integration that allows arrays to be managed on a VM basis instead of per volume or LUN. The software has a new space saving feature compressing snapshots and replicas. Existing customers will be able to download the new software for free, with a valid support contract.
PS6610 Series specifications:
- Models: PS6610E | PS6610X | PS6610ES
- Storage controllers: Dual controllers with 32GB non-volatile memory per controller
- Network interfaces:
- 10GbE connectivity
- Management network: 1 x 100BASE-TX per controller
- Interface ports: 2 x 10GBASE-T with RJ45 or 2 x 10GbE SFP+ for fibre or twin-ax copper cabling
- Drive types:
- 42 or 84 hot-pluggable 3.5” 7.2K RPM NL-SAS | 42 or 84 hot-pluggable 2.5” 10K RPM SAS | 14 hot-pluggable 2.5” SSDs plus / 70 hot-pluggable 3.5” 7.2K RPM NL-SAS
- Drive capacities:
- 2TB, 4TB, 6TB NL-SAS, 4TB NL-SAS SED | 600GB, 900GB, 1.2TB SAS, 1.2TB SAS SED | 400GB, 800GB SSD plus 2TB, 4TB NL-SAS
- System capacities: Up to 504TB | Up to 100.8TB | Up to 291.2TB
- RAID: RAID 6, RAID 10 | RAID 6, RAID 10 | RAID 6 Accelerated
Dell Storage with Microsoft Storage Spaces
Dell Storage with Microsoft Storage Spaces takes tested and validated solutions, designed to support Microsoft’s SDS capabilities and runs them on Dell’s enterprise-class server and direct attached storage hardware. Available in five configurations, this new Scale-Out File Server solution is for customers that need an SDS and virtualized storage approach to various workloads, including private cloud deployments, virtual desktop infrastructure, and SQL and Hyper-V environments. Customers can start small and scale as needed, up to over a Petabyte.
Availability and pricing
The Dell Storage SCv2000 Series arrays are available now and start around $14,000. The Storage PS6610 Series arrays and EqualLogic PS Series Array Software 8.0 will be available globally early in the third quarter of 2015. And Dell Storage with Microsoft Storage Spaces has is expected to be available June 2015.