September 28th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Lenovo Announces New Cloud-Based Products At Microsoft Ignite
This week at Microsoft Ignite 2016 in Atlanta, Georgia, Lenovo announced that it is working with Microsoft to tackle the demands and concerns pertaining to escalating storage needs. Lenovo will be building off of Azure and Windows Server 2016 to deliver what it calls cloud-based, next gen IT solutions designed to expand customer capabilities and enable the data center of the future.
Lenovo and Microsoft have worked together multiple times in the past and have been working closely since the inception of Windows Server 2016. The two companies will be leveraging Lenovo’s servers with Microsoft’s cloud-ready OS, giving customers the option to run their applications on known and trusted brands.
The new solutions include:
- Lenovo Cloud Configuration for Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct (S2D): Lenovo is participating in Microsoft’s Windows Server Software-Defined program to deliver hyperconverged Storage Spaces Direct and broader SDDC offerings. The solution leverages the advanced capabilities of Windows Server 2016 and the innovation and flexibility of the Lenovo rack servers, to bring cloud based infrastructure solutions for Microsoft Hyper-V and Microsoft SQL database workloads.
- Lenovo Database Configurations for Microsoft SQL Server Data Warehouse Fast Track (DWFT):This portfolio is further expanded with an update to Microsoft SQL 2016 for the 95TB configuration. A new high availability 60TB configuration is now available, also with support for Microsoft SQL 2016.
- New Cloud Configuration for Hyper-V: The Lenovo Cloud Configuration for Microsoft Hyper-V, which runs on the Lenovo system x3650 M5, provides strong performance for a wide spectrum of virtualized workloads on a flexible 2-socket platform. Available in configurations on Lenovo Flex System and Lenovo System x2850 M6.
- Microsoft Azure Stack on Lenovo systems: Microsoft Azure Stack allows organizations to embrace hybrid cloud computing as they see fit by helping address business and technical challenges like regulation, data sovereignty, customization and latency.
- Lenovo ThinkServer RS160 Powers SMBs: The Lenovo ThinkServer RS160 is a value-optimized, entry-level 1U rack server solution for SMBs that need to scale. The RS160 features powerful Intel processors and enterprise-class storage and networking and offers a faster data transfer rate as well as increased memory and storage capacity than its predecessor.
- New Apache Hadoop Configuration: Lenovo’s new certified reference architecture for Apache Hadoop environments based on the Cloudera Distribution Hadoop (CDH) platform, supporting both MapReduce and Spark, provides planning, design considerations, and best practices for implementing CDH with Lenovo products.
- Lenovo Storage D1212/D1224 Solutions: The D1212/D1224 storage appliances are direct attach storage (DAS) units designed for high-performance, high-capacity, easy deployment and high availability. Both DAS units are engineered to allow customers to work their way from single enclosure to 8 enclosures per HBA as business needs grow.
Lenovo will be demonstrating its new software-defined solutions at booth #1010 at Microsoft Ignite.