April 8th, 2019 by Lyle Smith
Supermicro Announces Support for 2nd Generation Intel Xeon Processors to Server and Storage Systems
Super Micro Computer has announced that their its entire portfolio of X11 servers, storage systems and Server Building Block Solutions are now fully optimized to support 2nd Generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors. The company also announced new accompanying innovations, including Intel Optane DC persistent memory (to increase memory capacity and affordability) and Intel Deep Learning Boost (to increase AI acceleration efficiency). Supermicro claims this with bring improved data center performance by 35% and a reduction of up to 50% in TCO. It is expected to have less impact on the environment as well.
With their resource-saving architecture, Supermicro’s believes that it will disaggregate both CPU, memory and other subsystems, which will allow each of them to be refreshed independently. With this capability, data centers can reduce the costs of refresh cycles as well as their impact to the environment. Supermicro adds that users will be able to leverage shared power/cooling and free-air cooling solutions for even more savings.
Supermicro product lines that support these resource-saving features include:
- BigTwin's high performance and density in a 2U four-node design with each node supporting 24 DIMMs, six hot-swap NVMe drives and flexible networking capability;
- 4U FatTwin in a variety of I/O, memory and storage combinations for most optimized cloud, HPC and enterprise applications;
- SuperBlade systems with two-socket and four-socket Intel Xeon Scalable processor-based blade servers supporting top-bin 205-watt processors, NVMe, 100G EDR InfiniBand switch, or 25G/10G Ethernet switches, redundant AC/DC power supplies, and Battery Backup (BBP), making them ideal for enterprise, cloud, and HPC applications.
Supermicro states the following other workload optimized systems that support the new processor family:
- 1U & 2U Enterprise Systems: Supermicro 1U and 2U Ultra SuperServers offer enterprise level performance while delivering value, flexibility, scalability and serviceability. Depending on configuration, systems feature dual 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors (up to 28 cores, 205W TDP per CPU), 24 DIMMs of DDR4-2933MHz Reg. ECC memory, Intel Optane DC persistent memory, up to 24 hot-swap NVMe (up to 16 million IOPS) or SAS3/SATA3 drives, up to eight PCI-E 3.0 expansion slots, dual or quad-port 1G, 10GBase-T, 10G SFP+, or 25G SFP28 Ethernet, and redundant 750W/1000W/1600W Titanium Level (96%+) digital power supplies.
- 1U Petascale All-Flash NVMe Storage Systems: Supermicro’s new Petascale line of all-flash NVMe 1U storage servers support all of the next-generation flash technologies with up to 52GB/second data bandwidth out of the box, best IOPS performance, NVMe over Fabrics support and ease of maintenance. With these 1U systems supporting up to 1PB of fast low-latency storage with 32 front hot-swap U.2, EDSFF and NF1 form factor SSDs, Supermicro offers flexibility and choice for high-capacity networked storage applications that require the best latency performance. These systems provide a real time-to-value advantage for data centers running data-intensive workloads.
- AI Systems: 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors include a range of built-in AI accelerators, such as Intel® DL Boost, that take full advantage of the growing array of Intel-optimized AI frameworks and tools. Also, with a full line of systems from 1U up to 10U supporting a single GPU up to 20 GPUs, Supermicro has specialized systems for the specific AI workload, including optimized system models for the highest performance of Deep Learning Training and for maximum throughput of Deep Learning Inference.
- Multi-Processor (MP) Systems: Supermicro’s latest 4-socket and 8-socket servers combined with the new Intel Optane DC persistent memory offer high memory capacity and speed making them ideal for large memory applications like in-memory databases and real-time analytics. With four 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors, Supermicro 4-socket servers can support up to 112 compute cores and up to 18 terabytes of memory.
- Intel Select Solutions from Supermicro: Intel Select Solutions are verified hardware and software stacks optimized for specific workloads across compute, storage, and network. Supermicro offers several Intel Select Solutions for workloads across hybrid cloud, network, and analytics. This year, Supermicro anticipates new solutions on the 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processor, including Intel Select Solution for VMware vSAN V2, Intel Select Solution for SAP HANA TDI, and Intel Select Solution for Hardened Security with Lockheed Martin.