September 12th, 2017 by Lyle Smith
VMware Announces Major Updates to its Cloud Provider Program
VMware has announced updates to its Cloud Provider Program today at VMworld 2017 in Barcelona; including the new VMware Cloud Provider Platform, which offers rapid deployment and scale up an environment to build value-added differentiated services; advancements to its cloud management platform to help customers deploy, operate and manage IT infrastructure and application services across a multi-cloud landscape; and the newest release of vSphere Integrated Containers v1.2, delivering new capabilities including provisioning native Docker Container Hosts.
VMware’s newly released innovations help VMware Cloud Provider partners migrate VMware workloads, expand service offerings to drive revenue and growth, lower cost through automation and more efficient operations, and create unique differentiation through VMware's Cloud Provider program. These include:
- VMware HCX technologies, which provides users with “any cloud to any cloud” secure, seamless interoperability and mobility. This will allow for large scale application migration and ongoing portability with zero application downtime or refactoring.
- VMware Cloud Provider Platform Drives Differentiation, which enables VMware Cloud Providers to meet their critical business imperatives: drive operational efficiency, quickly monetize new services, and compete more effectively.
- VMware Cloud Verified Partners Accelerate Customers' Digital Transformation, which help customers to identify a provider that can deliver services with VMware Cloud Infrastructure technology.
Next, IBM and VMware have each made announcements to strengthen their strategic partnership and to support continued adoption of IBM Cloud for VMware solutions, including VMware HCX Technology. Also announced are:
- VMware Horizon Cloud Service, the next generation of virtual desktop and application cloud services from VMware, which will be offered to IBM Cloud customers in Q4 2017. Horizon Cloud is a fully cloud-hosted service managed end-to-end by IBM or a seamless hybrid solution using on-premises hyperconverged infrastructure.
- Certified Public Cloud Infrastructure for SAP HANA on VMware IBM Cloud for SAP HANA platform deployments and new configurations for VMware environments.
- IBM Cloud is now one of the first of a new class of partners carrying the VMware Cloud Verified trust mark.
IBM is also broadening its “ecosystem of technology partners” with solutions from F5 Networks and Fortinet for full network traffic control and workload security capabilities.
Continuing on with the slate of announcements from VMWorld is the unveiling of VMware vCloud NFV-OpenStack, which is touted as the fastest path to deploying production NFV services on OpenStack. The new vCloud NFV-OpenStack platform includes VMware Integrated OpenStack-Carrier Edition, VMware's new OpenStack Ocata-based distribution. With it, network architects can seamlessly deploy, upgrade, and operate an OpenStack cloud on top of VMware's carrier-grade NFVI platform.
Also announced are advancements to VMware vRealize Suite 2017, the company’s cloud management platform that helps customers deploy, operate and manage IT infrastructure and application services across a multi-cloud landscape. The newest version includes the integration of the latest releases of vRealize Operations, vRealize Automation, vRealize Business for Cloud, and vRealize Log Insight, and features new lifecycle management capabilities to help support customers' data center modernization and cloud integration efforts.
The newest release of vSphere Integrated Containers (VIC) has been announced as well. vSphere Integrated Containers v1.2 is a part of vSphere 6.5 and promises to deliver a slate of new capabilities, including the a unified management portal.
New major security enhancements in the newest version include Registry Whitelists, which safeguard developers to make sure they download images from authorized registries only; Image Scanning, which give admins the ability to scan all images for known vulnerabilities; and Content Trust, which enables the system to confirm that only properly signed and validated images are able to run. Other updates include improvements to Identity and Access Management, UX design, and Native Docker Container Hosts.
VMware has announced an expansion of its Mobile Security Alliance (MSA) with the addition of Bay Dynamics, CipherCloud, Entrust Datacard Corporation, Gurucul, Intercede, and Kaymera, bringing the total number of partners to 23 across six categories (including the two new categories of authentication and analytics). The MSA is a consists of a range of security vendors that are deeply integrated with the VMware Workspace ONE digital workspace platform, which provides purpose-built APIs for the security ecosystem to integrate with the platform.
Workspace ONE is described as a core platform for a modern security architecture, featuring natively built-in application and device security essentials. It is designed to bridge together advanced, third-party security technologies, leading to benefits such as broad ecosystem interoperability, address data security gaps, and the ability to build on top of existing security investments.