November 6th, 2018 by Michael Rink
Dell EMC Announcements From VMworld Europe
Dell EMC will be showing off a number of Vmware related enhancements at VMworld Europe this week; starting with several enhancements and new options for their VxRail HCI appliances Likewise, Dell EMC Cloud Marketplace is getting several new options and features. Rounding out the announcements; Dell's latest 25GbE-enabled S5200-ON top-of-rack open networking switches are available now.
Dell EMC VxRail HCI Appliances are built on PowerEdge servers powered by Intel Xeon Scalable processors with VMware vSAN and vSphere software. The first of the upgrades to come online is access to VMware's Project Dimension beta. The Project Dimension beta is available immediately and is VMware's attempt to make on-premise clouds as simple and efficient as Vmware Cloud. More forward-looking, Dell is planning to add SmartFabric services to VxRail appliances. Dell is expecting SmartFabric to reduce 98% of the network configuration and administration through integration with VxRail Manager and VMware vSphere. SmartFabric Services will also enable customers to quickly deploy and automate data center networking fabrics while being fully interoperable with existing data center infrastructure. Another enhancement for the VxRail appliances is tighter integration with VMware technology to allow the use of VMware Site Recovery for push-button failover to VMware Cloud on AWS for disaster recovery. Finally, Dell is offering a new entry point enabling customers to start with a two-node VxRail cluster, instead of the previously required three, and scale out to meet demand. This makes VxRail more accessible at the edge of larger organizations, such as retailers with limited requirements at remote locations. Additionally, new, flexible vSAN licensing further enables customers to choose their desired level of HCI software functionality and investment.
Dell EMC VxBlock 1000 joins the Dell EMC Cloud Marketplace with new automation software and integration with VMware vRealize Suite. The new Dell EMC VxBlock Central software provides converged awareness, automation and analytics to simplify daily CI administration. Dell has regularly been expanding the options in their Cloud Marketplace. Data Center Utility is a newly available Cloud Consumption solution providing organizations the control of private cloud with the benefits of public cloud consumption including elastic capacity, metered usage, and an OpEx model. Data Center Utility is a custom metered usage solution.
Dell EMC’s latest lineup of 25GbE-enabled S5200-ON top-of-rack open networking switches helps customers take advantage of the 25GbE connectivity that is necessary to meet growing in-rack and storage network traffic demands from these new technologies. The S5200 family also helps form high-performance 100GbE data center fabrics for traffic between racks and provide a robust network underlay for VMware NSX network virtualization and software-defined storage implementations. The S5200-ON also features enhanced buffering, higher forwarding tables and data plane support for VxLAN routing.
- Dell EMC S5200 ON switches are available now
- Customers can sign-up for the Project Dimension Beta now.
- New Dell EMC VxRail capabilities, from VxRail 4.7 software, will be available this month via web download for existing customers
- New Dell EMC VxRail capabilities, from VxRail 4.7 software, will be available this December for new node deployments and expansions.
- SmartFabric Services for VxRail will become available in December and are included at no additional cost in the Dell EMC Networking OS10 Enterprise Edition license.
- Dell EMC VxBlock Central software will be available for download in December by current and new VxBlock System customers.
- Additional functionality, including support for two-node clusters and vCenter transparent operations, is planned for early Q1 2019, followed by VMware Cloud Foundation and Project Dimension within 1H 2019.
Discuss This Story