February 13th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
Dell EMC Expands Its CI Line With VxBlock System 1000
Today Dell EMC announced that it was expanding its converged Infrastructure (CI) portfolio with the introduction of its next-generation Dell EMC VxBlock System 1000. The new system is a pre-integrated, turnkey system that is all about simplification and offers storage and data protection from Dell EMC as well as compute and networking from Cisco. The company claims that customers can see data center footprint reduction by as much as 60%.
The new VxBlock 1000 supports many types of workloads as well as working with several types of storage arrays, data protection solutions, and compute systems. According to Dell EMC, this helps to deliver on the promise of CI around IT infrastructure lifecycle management simplification. It will also help IT admins spend less time on administrative tasks and allow them to focus instead on core business functions and innovations.
- Business agility by applying the right mix and capacity of IT resources and data services that evolving applications require—when they need them. For the first time, customers can mix four types of storage arrays—Dell EMC Unity, VMAX, XtremIO, and Isilon—and now can opt for Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers, in addition to Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers, and a broad range of Dell EMC data protection products all in one system. Compared to previous generations, the VxBlock 1000 increases server scalability by 56% (from 512 to 800 servers) and now supports up to ten storage arrays.
- Data center efficiency by pooling resources to maximize system use preventing stranded capacity and increasing return on investment while reducing rack space by up to 60%. With pooling of diverse resources in a single system, customers can allocate and re-allocate pooled compute, storage and data protection resources to specific applications, as business and workload requirements change, instead of having to work across and manage multiple disparate systems.
- Operational simplicity by delivering a turnkey, engineered system with lifecycle assurance that frees up IT staff to focus on innovation. The VxBlock 1000’s native support for mixed technologies offers improved simplicity for physical infrastructure, infrastructure administration and lifecycle management by reducing data center footprint (less cabinets, LAN and SAN switches, power supplies and system management hardware and software). In addition to offering fewer components to manage and support daily, the VxBlock 1000 can reduce overall system lifecycle administration time for multi-technologies by up to 75%.
Dell EMC VxBlock System 1000 key specifications:
- Chassis: Cisco UCS 5108
- Cisco UCS B-Series blade servers: B200 M4, B260 M4, B420 M4, B460 M4, B200 M5
- Cisco UCS C-Series rack servers: C220 M4 (SFF and LFF), C240 M4 (SFF and LFF), C220 M5, C240 M5
- Cisco Fabric Extenders (FEX): Cisco UCS 2304 XP, Nexus 2348UPQ Cisco
- Cisco Fabric Interconnect (FI): UCS 6332-16UP
- Cisco UCS Virtual Interface Card (VIC): 1225, 1227, 1340, 1380, 1385, 1387
- Max number of Servers
- Cisco chassis: 50
- Cisco blade servers: 400
- Cisco rack mount servers: 800
- LAN: Cisco Nexus 93180YC-FX and 93180LC-EX for 10G or 40G network connectivity between FEX and FI
- SAN: Cisco MDS 9148S, 9396S, 9706, 9710 (16G)
- Dell EMC Storage
- Unity All Flash 350F, 450F, 550F, 650F
- VMAX All Flash 250F/FX, 950F/FX
- XtremIO X2S, X2R
- Isilon All Flash and Hybrid F800, H600, H500, H400, A200, A2000
- Dell EMC Storage
- VMware: Vsphere Enterprise Plus (includes VDS), vRealize Log Insight, ESXi, vCenter Server, NSX
- Data Protection
- Dell EMC: Avamar; Data Protection Suite for VMware (Avamar Virtual Edition, NetWorker, Data Protection Search, Data Protection Advisor, Data Protection Central, CloudBoost, RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines); DD Boost for Enterprise Applications; Data Domain; Data Domain Virtual Edition; Virtual Storage Integrator for VMware vSphere Web Client; VPLEX; VPLEX Cluster Witness
- VMware: Site Recovery Manager and Site Recovery Advisor
- Compute: 4 to 64 Dell EMC PowerEdge R640 Gen 14 rack servers, 3.07 TB RAM, 1 x 20 Core, 2.4 Ghz, network 1 x quad port 10 GbE Base-T (X550), 2 x dual port 10/25 GbE SFP + NIC, 1 x iDRAC Enterprise 9, and storage 1 x 960 GB SSD (cache), 4 x 3.84 TB SSD (capacity)
- Network: Cisco Nexus 31108TC-V, Nexus 3232C
- Software: Vision software, Unisphere, InsightIQ (Isilon), Secure Remote Services (ESRS), Cisco Data Center Network Manager (DCNM) for LAN and SAN, Microsoft Windows Server
- Intelligent Physical Cabinet Solution from Dell EMC
Dell EMC VxBlock 1000 is available now.